Chapter 7: Tell Me Why ★

Year: 2009

I took a chance, I took a shot

And you might think I'm bulletproof but I'm not

You took a swing, I took it hard

And down here from the ground, I see who you are

I'm sick and tired of your attitude

I'm feeling like I don't know you

You tell me that you love me, then you cut me down

And I need you like a heartbreak

But you know you got a mean streak

Make me run for cover when you're around

Here's to you and your temper

Yes, I remember what you said last night

And I know that you see what you're doing to me

Tell me why

John and I had been dating for almost two years. He is such a sweet and caring guy. He always texted me good morning and would ask me how I was doing every day. When we walked through the hallways at school, he held my hand to show everyone that I was his, and he was mine. He walked me to my classes, even if that meant that he would be late to his own. 

And I appreciated it so much. Because no guy ever treated me like that. I was never really easily noticed either. I'm an introvert, and proud of it might I add. But sometimes, when you're at school and everyone has a place, it's a bit overwhelming when you have no one to talk to.

That's why it's great that I have a twin. Joel is definitely the extroverted twin, but at school, he always stayed by my side, and made sure I wasn't lonely. We shared a few classes, and during the periods we didn't, he would message me during class to make sure I was okay.

Many people have asked if I felt he was babying me. He really wasn't, he just cared. Although being an introvert, I also had severe social anxiety, and when I had classes in which I knew no one, I could have a really tough time being able to focus on the class.

I'm not that great at making friends either. I have my best friend, Abby, who I'm really close to. I take more advanced classes though, so as each year in high school passes by, and have less and less classes with her. But we still keep in touch, messaging each other how school is going, and always being there whenever we need to rant to each other about our day. 

But other than Abby, I choose to be more alone than social. I find no point in being friends with people who don't care about me. So, when I started dating John, I instantly had a new best friend in some of my classes, which definitely made class easier. And although John didn't pay attention in our classes and spent a significant amount of time flirting with me, I really didn't mind, as long as he let me get my work done. 

He constantly took me out on dates, and each time, he would show up to my house dressed like a gentleman, bring me flowers and chocolates each time. And every time I was ready to leave my house, he would gesture his arm out the door, and tell me, "After you, princess."

And I have to admit, I've never felt so truly loved before. And maybe it's the fact that I'm an introvert or choose to be alone most of the time. But I felt so happy. That someone would choose me over everyone else in the world.