Chapter 9: White Horse ★

Joel's POV:

The past few weeks have been the hardest of my life. From the car accident to our parents dying, to Ronnie being in the hospital, everything was so overwhelming. 

But that's not all. She also told me something that broke my heart.

And it pained me. 

Say you're sorry, that face of an angel

Comes out just when you need it to

As I paced back and forth all this time

'Cause I honestly believed in you

Holdin' on, the days drag on

Stupid girl, I should've known, I should've known

That I'm not a princess, this ain't a fairy tale

I'm not the one you'll sweep off her feet

Lead her up the stairwell

This ain't Hollywood, this is a small town

I was a dreamer before you went and let me down

Now it's too late for you and your white horse

To come around

I was watching a movie on the couch with Luke when the phone rang. Our parents were out with Ronnie, at my request, to let her have a good day. 

Luke picked it up. "Hello?"

I heard him say "Yes, who is this?" and then his face turned pale. He looked at me with a terrified expression.

I felt a knot in my stomach. Something was wrong.

He asked, "What kind of accident?" and then his voice cracked. He dropped the phone and fell to the floor, crying.

I ran over to him and picked up the phone. I said "Hello? Hello?" and heard a voice say, "Are you Joel?"

I said "Yes, yes, I'm Joel. What's going on?"

"This is Officer Davis from the police department. I'm sorry to tell you this, but there's been an accident involving your parents and your sister."

I choked, unable to speak. Now I know how Ronnie had felt all those times she had panic attacks.

"What happened?" I managed to spit out. 

"They were hit by a drunk driver on their way home from the restaurant. They're at the hospital right now. You need to come as soon as possible."

My voice trembled. "Are they...are they okay?"

The officer hesitated. "I'm afraid not. Your parents didn't make it. They were pronounced dead at the scene."

I said nothing. 

They couldn't be gone. 

"What about Ronnie? What about our sister?" I asked, praying that God at least spared her. 

"Your sister is alive, but she's in critical condition. She has multiple injuries and internal bleeding. She's in surgery right now. We don't know if she'll make it." I felt a sense of relief. She was still alive.