Chapter 4: You Belong With Me ★

Ronnie's POV:

After seeing Asher moving on so fast, I realized I needed to spend some time focusing on myself.

To discover what I want. Not him

The breakup inspired me to write a couple of songs. I kept them all in the same leather notebook, the pages filled with lyrics and notes from my heartbreak.

It gave me hope for our future. 

For the future that my brothers and I have planned. To create a band, and share our talents with the world.

To enjoy the thing I love the most.

Music. 

These songs I'm writing now, I don't plan to ever share these with the world. It's personal, it's almost as if these lyrics are diary entries. 

Maybe I'll keep all of these in a journal, then when my brothers and I make it to our dream, I'll laugh it off during an interview while sharing my first experience in songwriting. 

My brothers and I had written songs before, but it's usually just silly tunes or songs that never seem to be finalized. We have talent, but we've never actually been inspired to write a song with an actual person.

But now I have. 

I was in my room, as I scrolled away on my phone. It's been three months since the breakup. School is slowly coming to an end, as summer begins to near. 

I had moved on from Asher, realizing how much of my mental health I had sacrificed to please him. I was done sacrificing myself for someone who didn't care about me. 

Joel walked in, and said, "Hey Ronnie, a few friends are meeting for ice cream right now. Do you want to join them?"

"Are you going?"

"I was going to go, but I wanted to ask you as well."

"Alright, sure. Can I have five minutes?"

"Sure. I'll meet you downstairs when you're ready,"

After getting ready, I met Joel downstairs, and we began walking to the ice cream store. When we got there, I already noticed a bunch of familiar friends.

"Let's order first, then we'll meet everyone. Before the line gets long," Joel recommended. 

"Okay, sounds good," I said. I walked up to the cashier and ordered. "Hi, can I have two scoops of chocolate ice cream in a cone?"

"Of course," the cashier responded. "Anything else?" I glanced at Joel.

"Yes, can I have two scoops of mint chocolate chip?" Joel requested.

The cashier told us our total and I paid, while another employee scooped our ice cream. After we received our cones, we headed to our friends.

"Hey, Ronnie!" I heard John say. We spent some more time together in class, and we've gotten closer over the past few months.

Joel smiled as he walked to some other friends, to let us have a conversation.

"Hey, John," I smiled.

"What flavor did you get?" he asked.

"Chocolate," I said, licking my ice cream.

He gasped in accusation. "Copier!" revealing his chocolate ice cream.

"I didn't copy you!" I laughed. "I didn't even know what you got!"

"Well I got here first, so-" he shrugged, smiling as he teased me.