Chapter 12: Stay and Burn With Me

Terzo went straight to his office, passing confused siblings on his way out of the chapel and into the hall. The look of shock all over him. He needed time to think. He sat in his chair pushing his hair back out of his face. He took a deep breath and hung his head down low–trying to pull himself back together from the enormous revelation Alé had unknowingly bestowed upon him.

Pregnant? How...I mean I know how... Terzo tittered to himself. He felt ever so anxious, his heart pounding hard in his chest. It happened–Alé was with child. They succeeded in conceiving an heir to the Emeritus bloodline. And if that hadn't been enough–she was in love with him. It couldn't ask for a better position on the board. There was just one problem, it was all predicated on a lie.

How can I tell her now? She'll hate me. Terzo agonized at the thought. Before her contempt for him was reasonable, also almost playful at times. She didn't really hate him, but more found him distasteful. Something like this though, this could be it. He wondered how he allowed it to get this far, trying to lie even to himself. His fear of admitting his feelings–fear of losing someone he loved...it made him do this unspeakable thing to her and now the chips will fall where they may.

It was too late to change his approach now. He removed that option for her before this started. Now they were, Satan only knows exactly how many weeks into a pregnancy under false pretenses. Terzo couldn't think of anything he could possibly do to exonerate himself.

It was a very nice day out, as the week's storms had now dispersed–leaving the sky bright and the sun shining through only sparse dustings of clouds. Alessandra spent the rest of the morning pacing back and forth in her room, practically carving out a path in the floor. She needed it to be afternoon already.. Now that Primo knew her secret, she desperately needed him to help her.

When noon finally hit, Alé took off heading straight for the garden. The garden looked so beautiful after the rain and now that she was with child she smelled it more intensely than ever. All the scents of herbs and blossoms thick in the air. She walked back to Primo's spot and saw no one. Alé let out an exasperated huff. Maybe she was just early? She hadn't quite specified the time...just that it was the afternoon. She'd wait there for him to arrive.

She prayed it would be soon as every moment that passed felt like centuries of time. Her nerves, already telling her to run–even though it was way too late for that. As she sat in the chair, taking some slow deep breaths. She closed her eyes and felt the warmth from the sun on her face.

Her hand fell to her belly, letting fingertips run over it–finally resting her palm on its surface. It was the first time she had focused on it. Her whole mind was so fixed on Terzo and the church and the whole mess they all created together. Alé really hadn't paid attention, not fully–to the fact that there was a little life growing inside her. A small piece of Terzo that lay in wait within her. She smiled and felt the warmth of her tears as they ran down her face. She already loved this baby so much and more than anything, she loved its father.

As the bells began to chime, signaling the changing of the hour. Terzo knew he had to see her. She'd be waiting for Primo, who would not come– since of course was in town tending to his bulb business, none the wiser. Terzo had no clue as to what he should say, as if the right words to describe his feelings had yet to be conjured. He figured he'd find a way to say it, or at least he'd hoped. All he wanted was to embrace her–them in his arms.