Chapter 4 Ash's POV

I couldn't tell if she was more surprised that Adagio actually hugged me (even if it was only for a second) or if I was more surprised by what her necklace was doing. It was late at night, and I had been sleeping in bed when my necklace started glowing. It started glowing so brightly it even woke me up. I tried to touch it, but it fizzled and burned my fingers. I sat up in bed and tried to ignore the pain the necklace was giving me. I wanted badly to take it off, but I hadn't done that in years. In fact, I couldn't even remember ever taking it off. I started panting and sweating. My necklace burned both to touch and even without touching it. I cupped my hands around it and felt like I was touching a stove. Then I couldn't move. I cried out, waking up Aria who glowered at me until she saw what was happening.

 "I...can't...move..."  

Aria tried to move my hands away from the necklace, but it was like trying to move stone, even for Aria.

"It...hurts..."

Aria stood up. "I'll get Adagio." 

My vision started to tint red by the time Adagio came.  "...then she said she couldn't move." 

I was still frozen in place, my hands holding a fiery ball of pain. Sonata finally woke up, rubbing her eyes.

"What...huh."

Aria rolled her eyes.

"Go back to sleep, Sonata."

Adagio somehow pulled the necklace out of my grasp and touched the very center of it, where the light was brightest. It didn't burn her, and the pain dribbled away. I could suddenly move and dropped down as if someone had drained me. 

"How...how did you do that?" 

None of them responded, leaving to go back to bed. Unexpectedly, I had the strange feeling this wasn't the last time my necklace would cause strange sensations...