Chapter 9 Ash's POV

I woke up in the back of a truck. My hands were tied and five more people my age were sitting beside me. A man with a rifle was watching all of us. My necklace glowed.

"Ah ah ah, ah ah. Ah ah ah, ah ah ah ah."

The man dropped the rifle and untied us all. My throat hurt, but I kept singing. The person driving the truck pulled over and got out of the car. I felt like I was on fire, but I knew if I stopped singing, they'd become aware again and shoot me. 

"Ah ah ah..."

Both kidnappers walked towards police men and allowed themselves to be handcuffed, and  finally stopped singing. The other kidnapped people ran out of the truck to the police, but I turned in the opposite direction and hurried down a familiar-looking street.

"Donut Duo's...Warrior's Pizzeria..." 

I knew those places, but I didn't know where I was. The sun was rising, and I needed to get home. My wrists and feet hurt, and my neck was burning as if the sun was sitting on it. I looked down at my necklace and gaped. Long, ugly cracks split across its once smooth surface. The cracks glowed, but I didn't know if that was a good sign, or a bad one. At least the necklace was still in one piece and hadn't shattered. I felt like throwing up and reached for the wall beside me, only for my hand to fall through it. Now I felt like I was going crazy, since the wall had disappeared after I touched it, so I knew it was an illusion. I tried to take another step, but fell down instead, cupping my necklace so it wouldn't break even more. I thought I saw someone familiar yelling my name, but then everything went dark...

(Time skip)

I sat up, somehow in my bedroom, in my bed. My necklace was lying on my desk, thankfully unharmed. That was when Aria came in to check on me. Now let me tell you, Aria hugging me is about as likely as having a s'more start eating hedgehogs and dogs. Which means I'd better keep a look out to make sure no s'more eats my pet hedgehog. 

"I think this is the first time you've ever hugged me. Wait, scratch that, you hugged me to steal my charger so you could charge your headphones. And you hugged me that one time when you wanted to steal my phone. And when you wanted to steal my boxing gloves. And when you-oof!" 

Sonata jumped in and hugged me too. 

"I...can't breathe," When nothing happened, I added,  "Also, you might be crushing my necklace."

Both of them jumped off. 

"Hang on, why didn't we do the quarter finals yesterday?"

Sonata shrugged. "It was cancelled. Now it's happening today."

Aria pointed at my necklace. "Which means we need to fix that if you want to play."

Adagio burst in. "First, she got kidnapped. Next, she collapsed twice on the street. Third, she nearly got run over. Fourth, her necklace broke. Oh sure, Aria, she should totally sing after all that."

I jumped out of bed and hugged Adagio. "I'm sorry. I was mad."

For a few seconds, she didn't respond. My heart twisted painfully. Then she hugged me back. "Okay, enough mushy stuff now, I'm Adagio Dazzle, not Adagio snuggly cuddly teddy bear."

I giggled, then sat back down on my bed and picked up my necklace. I still had a connection with it, but it was fading.

"I know how to fix it," I said softly. "But it will hurt."

I didn't wait for Adagio to respond, because I knew she wouldn't approve. But I had to do this. I put back on the necklace before she could argue, then pressed my thumb down on the cracks. 

"What are you-"

Red-purple light shot out of the necklace as it started to sink into me. It hurt, but I gritted my teeth and held still until it was over.

Adagio gaped at me. "Your necklace...it's...gone..."

I stared back. "No it's not. It's inside me now. It will be healed now, and no one can break it again. You guys...you could do it to. To keep your necklaces safe. Since we're immortal and all..."

Adagio blinked her magenta eyes, then pressed down on her necklace. So did Sonata and Aria. Lights flashed before my eyes, and I blinked rapidly. It was happening.