Chapter 63 -Could It Get Worse?-

"Good morning," Carlisle greeted Alice. She didn't even give a similar greeting, she was too anxious... She had had a rare and frustratingly fuzzy vision of Haven. "Carlisle, it's Haven. I saw him having a seizure. His heart stopped beating...Carlisle, go, or it will be too late!"...

(Esme's POV)

We stormed into the ICU, only throwing on the green gowns and I was hardly in one when Carlisle and I stopped dead in our tracks... Several nurses and doctors were rushing into Haven's room.

"He has a seizure," a doctor called and rambled medical terms that I hardly knew, but the nurses and other doctors gave him what he needed. Carlisle let go of my hand and rushed into the room, letting me alone... I was too shocked to move, only after a second I moved in small steps over to the window of the room. Liam, Robert and Dr. Henderson were injecting something into the IV, just as Haven started to twitch. His legs and arms moved like they weren't part of his body anymore, his head jerking from side to side. The beeping of the monitor accelerated, but I could hardly hear it over the screams of the doctors. I held onto the window frame and could do nothing but watch it all unfold. Carlisle stood a bit further behind the other three, but was giving orders and advice to the others in the room. I couldn't grasp what was happening. I even forgot to breathe and only remembered when I felt dizzy. I didn't cry, I felt numb and still hoped that I just had a nightmare...

Everything turned even more frantic when the heart monitor stopped its beeping, turning into a flat line, a monotonous beeping that was forever engraved in my mind. "Cardiac arrest!" Even more nurses ran into the room. "Starting chest compressions." "0,1 mg epinephrine!" I couldn't watch it anymore, I sank to the floor, curling up into a ball, the first tears ran down my face...

(3rd person POV)

Esme sank to the floor, her face hidden between her knees as her frame shook with tears. "Charge the defi to 300," Dr. Jackson called, taking the paddles from a nurse. "Clear!" Everyone looked tensed at the monitor, but still a flat line... These minutes will decide the future of the Cullens. If Haven died, Esme and Carlisle would be destroyed... It would tear a too big hole into their hearts to ever heal properly again. The wellbeing of the entire family hung by a thread as Dr. Jackson and Dr. Henderson tried their best to reanimate Haven. Carlisle was pacing around in the room, his hands running through his hair. He wanted to rip the paddles out of their hands and do it himself, but he knew that they did their best and he couldn't do more than they could.

"Charge again," Dr. Knightly called and performed the next step. "Clear!" "Another dose of epinephrine," Dr. Henderson ordered. Another long silence when they all looked expectedly to the monitor. Esme listened but couldn't find the strength to see it, so she stayed on the floor, not being able to believe what was happening here. Dr. Jackson sighed as they waited the needed time, but still no sign of a sinus curve. "Again," he yelled and Dr. Henderson gave him the paddles. "Charge to 350," he instructed. "Clear!"

A collective sigh of relief went through the room when a weak, but at least existent heartbeat could be seen on the monitor. "Breathing stabilizes. Heartbeat strengthens," Dr. Jackson murmured as he examined him.

"We did it," Dr. Knightly breathed and stroked Haven's head. The nurses left the room a moment after and only the doctors remained.

"Thank you," Carlisle sobbed as he hugged Liam and Robert. "And thank you," Carlisle smiled weakly and shook hands with Dr. Henderson. He nodded with a friendly smile and then left the room.

"He will be closely watched now, but he is stable for now," Liam smiled. He and Robert talked as they left the room as well. Carlisle sighed and slumped down in the chair next to Haven.