Chapter 65 -Just a Glimpse of Your Eyes-

I will never forget the morning of the 4th of February, 2009. The day Haven turned exactly 6 weeks and took his first independent breath again.

After Robert had told us the news of the first signs of recovery, Esme and I were ecstatic, but of course still cautious. So much could still happen, as we had painfully found out ourselves. Nonetheless, not only did I feel better, but I could also see how Esme'd recovered. It would take more time to recover fully, so that the signs of the last weeks vanished, but she already looked better. That night Rosalie, Alice and Edward stayed with Carlie in the hospital, sneaking into the room when the nurses and doctors weren't checking. Around midnight Esme passed out asleep, still exhausted from the events even though she would deny that.

Carlie was still asleep in my arms, but in her own clothes again after they'd dried completely from her snowy adventure. Rosalie and Alice were sitting close to Haven, talking to Haven or with us. Edward gave me the updates about everything. Charlie and Sue would come right in the morning and so would Bella and Renesmee, who had stayed behind with the two. Around noon, they wanted to go on a hunting trip, after all they hadn't hunted for two weeks now. My eyes were coal black as well, but I wouldn't leave Haven and Esme right now. It would still be enough time if I go as soon as Haven recovered.

"So...?" Alice began just as Edward and I talked. She turned around to us, but still held Haven's hand. Edward and I turned to her as well.

"I saw us at a beach..." she grinned happily. I smiled broadly and nodded. We both knew what that entailed. Esme and I had decided to go to Isle Esme or rather promised it to Carlie as soon as Haven was totally healthy again. I couldn't help it but to smile from one ear to the other with happiness.

"Yes! We will go to the beach," I laughed and swiftly walked over to Alice to hug her.

"We will?" Rosalie laughing, as she too understood what it meant. Actually all three of us started to grin like idiots (at least that was what it would look like to someone walking in right now...).

"We've promised and promises won't be broken," I told her and hugged her as well. "Can you... Do you...?" I attempted to ask, but couldn't find the right words.

"No, but I do know that we will very soon pack our things," Alice grinned and stroked Haven's hand with her thumb. I smiled and couldn't help, but to hug Alice once more.

"Look, who is finally relaxed and happy again," Edward grinned and chuckled.

I paced around in the room, unable to sit still in anticipation. I was internally debating whether to wake Esme up, but Alice didn't know when Haven would wake up and even though I couldn't await the moment to see his blue eyes opening, I also knew that it could still be hours or even days... Liam came around 6 in the morning to check Haven up, not saying anything about the number of people in the room. "His results are getting better," he smiled and smiled affectionately at Haven. "He is over the worst now. Children are little miracles after all."

"Thank you Liam. For everything," I said sincerely and shook his hand.

"Always and even though we both don't wish for it, you can always call me if you need me in the future," he winked.

"You're right," I laughed, "but I will."

"Good. I'll catch some sleep now," Liam winked and left the room.

An hour later, the sun was starting to rise and I couldn't stop pacing once again. Edward had left for a moment to call Bella to check and Alice had towed Rosalie to the cafeteria to get breakfast for Esme when she woke up. Up until now Esme lay or semi-lay in the chair and slept peacefully. I smiled again, thinking about Esme's content sigh as soon as she would have a soft feather pillow under her head and a soft mattress to sleep on. I let myself fall into the chair and watched Haven. He looked so much better than yesterday. His skin had a much healthier color and his lips and eyes weren't bluish. He was still too slim, but we would get him back to his healthy self in no time, I had confidence. I took Haven's tiny hand in mine and stroked it very lightly. "Good morning, little buddy," I whispered as the sun just peeked out of the clouds and some sunrays escaped inside our room.