Chapter 74 - At Sunset -

"And then I'll take this one! And... maybe this... but I'm not so sure about that one. What do you think, Esme?" I woke up from my thoughts and looked right into Alice's expectant face. 

She raised her left eyebrow and smirked when she noticed that I hadn't really listened. I tried to find the context and looked around. We were standing in front of a rack full of beautifully light and billowing summer dresses in the small boutique we had entered maybe half an hour ago. Alice held up several dresses in all kinds of colors and patterns as I was looking around. I sighed and looked at each one more closely.

"I like this one. This one is too boring compared to the others and this one is too short for the sun," I pointed out. Alice nodded thoughtfully and approvingly after a moment and danced ahead of me to another rack. I looked around to find Carlisle, but couldn't see him. Jasper and Emmett were with their wives and Jake and Seth had stopped caring for fashion a long time ago after they had gotten their suits and now were sitting in the only two armchairs in this boutique. The shop assistant was currently gushing over Rosalie's choice of dresses and sun hats and I had to giggle lightly when I saw Rosalie's unnerved expression. She hated nothing more than female shop assistants that did nothing but give her compliments. Even Rose had a daily limit of compliments and hers was reached some time ago. No one was specifically taking notice of me and I took the opportunity to silently leave shopping behind me and left the boutique.

The sun was about to set behind the buildings of Rio de Janeiro and from the higher point of the city we were at currently I had a perfect view. It was so beautiful how the shades of powdery orange, deep magenta and apple red seemed to paint the city anew. Everything that seemed remotely ordinary or dull was suddenly like a little gem; buildings that seemed old showed their other facet proudly in the setting sun. Slightly stunned by the sight I stayed on the sidewalk and just watched until the sun was about to disappear behind the roofs. The sunset at the beach would be much more breathtaking still and I couldn't wait to see it after all this time.

The time we now finally had was a gift and I had all intention to use it wisely. Shopping for the wedding seemed insignificant right then compared to the sunset and what had already happened. Everything seemed insignificant in comparison. All the emotions that had been bottled up even before the battle now came all back viciously and I couldn't stop the tears and sobs. I felt so relieved, so utterly overjoyed and content with our life, so lucky that I was gifted with every single person in my life. I had rarely felt so deeply grateful than in that moment.

I sank to the sun-warmed pavement, my colorful dress flowing around me like a blooming flower, and I laughed and cried at the same time.

I must have done something right in my life when I was rewarded with my family. Someone must have thought that the struggles we all faced were enough to give us second chances, not once, but thrice. We all struggled to be better than our nature as vampires, I did not feel the struggle since I had changed, but everyone of my family fought against his or her very nature every day, even as I was thinking about it.

I didn't mean to say that someone was obliged to reward us, but that it only seemed fair. We did it because we believed in faith and a greater good. Each of us had their very own motivations, but each one was sincere and selfless. I had smiled out of pure happiness when I had woken up to Carlisle in this life, I had smiled through happy tears when I knew that Carlie was on the way and then again when I realized I was pregnant with Haven and never could I believe how I deserved every new member to this family. Everyone brought their own struggles but as a family we faced them head on and concurred most of them.

When we had survived the first battle against the Volturi and Renesmee was safe, I had thanked whoever had watched over our little angel and us that day. And now that we had survived and even won against the Volturi I was speechless. We were all together: my sons and daughters, my husband, our in-laws and friends, my little granddaughter.

I looked up to the sky through blurry eyes and whispered my thanks sincerely. I was so overwhelmed by it all. We were still together. I was about to marry the love of my life again and every person I loved from the bottom of my heart would be there to support Carlisle and me.

I would never lose any one of them. I wiped a few tears away and laughed incredulously. The last sunrays illuminated my skin and the skirt of my dress and it shone in the most beautiful colors.

"Thank you. I meant to say that for an eternity now: thank you so much. Every struggle was much more than worth it. Thank you."

The sudden tinkling of a wind-chime made me look up startled and I looked right into warm light golden eyes. I sighed deeply and took his hand. Only a split second later I was down on the pavement, cradled in his arms. I leaned my cheek against his shoulder and with closed eyes breathed his heavenly scent in.

"Don't we have so much to be thankful for? Every minute of the day I thank Him for being so benign to our family. The moment Edward and then you came into my life I couldn't believe it was true. And now we have this chaotic and loving family. Sometimes I could do nothing but smile the entire time," Carlisle told me with wonder and such reverence in his voice. I snuggled closer to his chest and nodded.

"It all just caught up to me after this last month. I could cry and smile at the same time." Carlisle looked down to me and smirked as he wiped a stray tear away with his thumb.

"It seems like you have already done so." We both laughed lightly and sighed as we both watched the city from our unconventional point of view. The powdery orange had nearly disappeared and gave room to the last remnants of a pastel and honey yellow and scarlet red along the edges of the horizon as the sun was already almost gone. The sunset was of breathtaking beauty and it had something magical. I sighed again and leaned up to softly connect my lips with Carlisle's. He inhaled deeply and returned the kiss for a timeless moment until he smiled against my lips and leaned his forehead against mine. I could see every facet of his honey golden eyes right then. I couldn't help but smile, too. Just as we were about to part, the voices of our family turned louder and soon they were all gathering around us.

"Want to grab a bite now? I'm starving here," Jacob grinned. Seth nodded eagerly next to him.

"Sure," I smiled. Carlisle held me bridal style as he got up and then set me down on my feet.

"I'm hungry, too," Carlie called and wobbled eagerly in Emmett's arm, grinning at everyone. I smirked.

"Of course you are."

"I know a great restaurant just a few minutes away from here," Edward mentioned and everyone followed his lead. I looked up to the sky as Carlisle and I trailed behind everyone else. It was getting darker by the minute, but it had been such a great day. Carlisle squeezed my hand and as I looked at him, he smiled and kissed me. I sighed and leaned my head against his shoulder as we strolled through the streets of Rio de Janeiro.

Thank you so much for reading! And thank you, @adasiahorton! I really love your stories! :)

-All rights belong to the respective owners. No copyright infringements intended.-