Chapter 26 -Our Christmas Surprise-

When I walked down several more steps though another wave came and I nearly fell down. Jasper, Emmett and Edward were in the hall in a second and helped me down. "Oh no, no, no, no..." I whispered and sat down on the couch. "A change again?" Jasper asked anxiously. "No... I think the baby is coming..." I whispered panicky. The guys looked at each other and Edward was the first to snap out of it. "Are you sure? It could also be the Braxton Hicks, it can happen weeks before the birth..." he argued. "I don't know..." I whispered and again I felt the cramps. "But aren't they supposed to come and go and not be at regular intervals?" I argued. "You're right," Edward sighed and stroked my hand. "We'll see," he smiled encouragingly and swept me up into his arms. "We'll first of all help you to get comfortable," he said calmly and carried me upstairs into my bedroom. He sat me down on the bed and I breathed in and out as another contraction came. "They are coming closer together rapidly," he sounded concerned. "May I?" he asked and I nodded...

"Yes, you're already four centimeters dilated..." he told me and looked to the floor. "The baby is coming?" I asked even more panicky. He nodded reluctantly. "I can't do this without Carlisle, you must call him," I told him and he was out of the room in a rush. Jasper slowly walked into the room but looked really uncomfortable. "You don't have to stay here with me," I told him sympathetically. "No, if you want me here, then I'll stay and help," he smiled and sat next to me on the bed. I nodded and took his hand as another contraction came. "Thanks," I smiled weakly as he helped me sit up more upright and put the blanket around me. I tried to relax as Jasper told me what he had done all day with Alice. He was trying to distract me and it was working as long as the contractions didn't appear, but they were still long apart thankfully...

"I can't reach him. I've tried five times," Edward said unnerved and dumped his phone on the night stand as he pulled his hand nervously through his hair. "Have you tried Bella, Rose or Alice?" I asked. "Yes, they all left their cell phones at home," he sighed. "Shouldn't Alice see it?" Emmett asked as he stood nervously in the doorframe. "No, she can't see Esme or the baby and thus she can't see us either right now," Edward mumbled. I grabbed Jasper's hand as another contraction came, but lasted only a few seconds. He looked at me worriedly. "What should we do now?" Jasper asked and they all looked at each other. "Try to keep calm. We can't do more than that right now, as soon as the contractions come closer together we have to think of something else..." Edward replied. "I'll try calling Carlisle again," Emmett said and disappeared. "And he told me he had his phone with him," I sighed.

A contraction came that was definitely more painful and I gasped in pain. "Try breathing in and out deeply and slowly," he instructed me and I did so until the contraction wore off. "Carlie is still sleeping, right?" I asked. "Yes, soundly," Edward smiled and held my other hand. "What if the baby is born without Carlisle?" I asked unsure, I didn't even want to think about it, but I still thought out loud... I needed him here... "It wouldn't be the first time," Edward chuckled darkly. I glared at him. "I'm sorry, but it's true. He won't miss the birth of his own child though," he smiled warmly. "But he doesn't even know that he is missing it!" I argued and sighed. "We can't do more than calling," Jasper told me softly and rubbed my hand. Another contraction came and I gripped a strong hold of Jasper's hand. "The contractions are 10 minutes apart right now, there is no rush until they come 5 minutes apart," Edward tried to calm me down. "I tried several times but no answer," Emmett sighed heavily.

"Do you want to take a short walk? It might help," Edward offered. "It might take my mind off things," I said and Jasper and Emmett helped me get up. "I'm fine between them, just the contraction itself hurts," I told them and Edward nodded. Edward walked on my right, Jasper on my left and Emmett right behind me as we walked through the hall slowly. "Should we show you a surprise for tomorrow?" Emmett offered. I nodded with a smile. "It was actually meant to be for Carlisle's birthday, but with the whole stress, we decided it would be better for Christmas," Jasper told me with a smile as they let me into Rose's and Emmett's room. "It's the only room you don't walk into frequently," Jasper chuckled and Emmett punched his arm in response. I giggled and Jasper's face lit up at my response. Edward turned on the light and we faced a nearly wall-sized canvas. "Wow," I gasped.