Chapter 81 - Friends, Cake and Amends -

"And we could already wait for our guests?" Rosalie asked me. I couldn't help smiling at the prospect of meeting everyone. I kissed Carlisle a last time and then walked out with Rose while Carlisle started to look through the flowers.

-}0{-

From the distance I could already see the two yachts arriving at our landing stage close to our house. On second glance I wondered where ours was, but dismissed the thought when Rosalie grabbed my hand and we jogged over to them. She smiled happily at me as I had to laugh. Fortunately the clouds covered the sun at the moment and we were safe for now. We were nearly there and John was just helping Anna down from the yacht. She had Matthew in her arms and quickly set his sunhat back in place. John picked Avery up next and both grinned as he set his son down on his feet. Summer clothes fit them well, I mused. In Hanover, you hardly see someone with summer dresses and shorts, it was simply too cold, even in the summer months mostly. Apart from that it was a rare occasion that I saw John without his usual work attire, now he was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Anna spotted us first and a wide smile spread on her face and she waved enthusiastically. She gave Matthew to her surprised husband and ran over to us. Rosalie looked at me amused, but we didn't have a chance to say anything before we were both hugged.

"I missed you," Anna laughed and hugged both of us even closer. Anna eventually let go of us and grinned from one ear to the other. "Rosalie, how is it possible to get so cold on a tropical island?" she asked and shivered involuntarily.

"I think I caught a cold. First Hanover, then Forks and then the humid air here.I am more used to the humid and damp weather," she lied smoothly and laughed lightly. Anna and I joined her laughter and Rosalie quickly changed the topic to Matthew and Avery. Give a person half a century and she perfects the skill of lying to the point where it's almost impossible to decipher the lie. We were all skilled in lying, deceiving, distracting and charming people and though we didn't like to use it, it was the only possible way to live the way we lived in society.

"How was the journey here?" I asked as we were nearly back at the docks.

"Better than we thought, honestly. Avery and Matthew slept through the entire flight and we could catch some sleep as well," Anna told us with a smile. John walked over to us and Anna took Matthew back while John tried not to juggle the luggage.

"He is so big already," Rosalie cooed when Matthew smiled at her. He was really a cutie. Matthew was nearly eight months old and the cutest little baby. He had chubby cheeks, bright baby blue eyes and light blond hair and just like with his big brother, there was hardly anything but a smile on their expression. Matthew giggled when Rosalie played with him and it took under ten seconds before Rosalie had him in his arms and joked around with him. It didn't take long though and he had found a very interesting toy in the jewels of Rosalie's dress and he tried to pick them up and put them into his mouth. Anna and I watched the two with a loving smile.

"Not so soon, right?" Anna asked me with a grin. The smile on Rose's face disappeared, but reappeared only a second later as she played with Matthew and looked at me.

"No, there is still enough time," Rosalie answered for me, yet there wasn't a hint of bitterness or resentment in her voice. Anna smiled at her and we all looked over to Avery as he ran over to us with quite some noise.

"Auntie Esme, where is Carlie?" he asked as he came to a sudden halt in front of me. I kneeled down to his level and hugged him.

"Hello first of all, Avery," I laughed. "Carlie is taking a nap." Avery's face fell but at my next words he was happy again. "But Rosalie can show you and Mommy and Daddy your house on the island. It is directly at the beach and there is a tree house." Avery walked over to Rosalie at once and took her hand.