Chapter 64 -Time to Take A Deep Breath...-

(Carlisle's POV)

I was somehow still hoping for Esme to come back through those double doors or that Robert came to tell me that Haven finally was on the way to recovery, but both didn't happen. And likewise I couldn't find the strength to get up and go over to Esme. I wasn't angry with her, but I missed her so much... My phone went off all of a sudden and I answered without looking who it was.

"Hey, Carlisle," Alice greeted me. "You've never called me back."

"I'm so sorry, it had been such a rough day," I sighed, feeling bad that I didn't even tell her about Haven.

"That's why I've called Charlie and Sue. They are right here with us now. I thought it might not be such a good idea for everyone to come to the hospital."

"Thank you, Alice," I smiled. I hadn't even thought about them. Because of one shock after another, Esme and I had totally forgotten.

"How's Haven doing?" she asked and I heard shuffling.

"Hi," Edward greeted me. I greeted him as well before I explained about the three cardiac arrests and Haven's current state.

"Should we come?" Alice asked.

"I don't know," I sighed. I wasn't sure Esme was up for company and I was so exhausted as well.

"Then we come over," Alice concluded and actually made me smile.

"When?" I asked.

"We'll go right away," she answered and already hung up.

I got up with a heavy sigh and walked into Haven's room. Esme sat there, curled up in a ball, on the chair facing Haven. "Come on," I whispered and carried her out of the room. She was so unresponsive that she didn't even seem to realize that I was carrying her. Her eyes looked empty and I wanted nothing more than to get that look out of her lovely hazel eyes. I carried her past some doctors and nurses, who of course asked if she was fine, but I reassured them.

When I entered the reception hall, Esme still didn't show a reaction and I sighed deeply as I looked into her distant eyes. I walked to the waiting area, where an elderly couple sat and smiled at us. I set Esme next to me on a chair, but kept her leaning against me.

"What are we doing here?" she murmured in a hollow voice and looked around.

"We're waiting for some guests," I smiled and kissed her hair.

"I don't want to. I want to go back to Haven," she whispered and unsteadily got up and walked out the room.

"Just wait, please," I begged as I walked after her.

"What if something happens while we're away?" she asked, already close to the elevators.

"That won't happen. He is closely watched and I have my pager with me."

"You said that nothing will happen this morning, too," she whispered.

"I can't promise, but we will be there if anything should happen. We are up there in 30 seconds if we need to. Please, we both need distraction."

"Okay," she sighed and leaned against me.

"Have Robert or Liam said anything while I was with Haven?"

"No, the test results aren't there yet. They still hope for improvements in the next hours." Esme only nodded, but she relaxed slightly against me. I led us back to the entrance to wait for our guests.

"Who is coming anyway?" Esme asked as we leaned against the reception. A caught a glimpse of pink at the entrance and smiled at Esme, watching her reaction.