A Jog & A Chance Meeting

The most relaxing part of my day was going on an afternoon jog through Central Park. Our move from Florida to New York City last month had given me slight culture shock....so when I was able to go free my mind, I would.

As a 31 year old mother of two, married for 10 years, I felt liberated when I put those headphones on and tuned out the world. This run was different as my husband, Alexander, was home with our two boys because he had been recording in the studio all day & night and knew I needed some relief.

To be honest, our marriage had become more of a partnership. We took care of our children and had a great friendship. The passion, romance and affection had dissipated a while ago. It's not that we weren't happy being with each other - we just knew it wasn't the same...the excitement had come & gone.

I ran over the small bridge and continued on my route. As I arrived at the hot dog cart to buy myself a water, I noticed a group of girls giggling and pointing at the line. I glanced up ahead of me and noticed a rather large man attempting to block a younger man - tall, with longish curly brown hair; wearing a white t-shirt over tight black jeans; black leather boots completed his look.

Not thinking much of it, the line kept moving and I reached into my pocket to grab a $5 bill. As I pulled it out, my iPhone went crashing to the ground.

"Shit," I said bending over to pick it up.

"Is it broken?" asked a deep, raspy voice - with a thick British accent - behind me.

I turned around to meet a genuine look of concern in his beautiful emerald eyes. His chocolate curls fell around his face as he briefly looked down at his shoes patiently waiting for my response.

"It seems to be fine," I answered still looking at this handsome, yet familiar stranger. "I appreciate your concern."

I turned back to order my water. Suddenly, a large hand held a $10 bill up to the man.

"Oh, that's not necessary!" I explained.

"It's on me." He smiled showing his cute dimples.

I blushed. "Well, thank you."

"Not a problem at all. I'm actually quite fond of your shirt," he said.

This whole situation had flustered me, so, I quickly glanced down: 'Headphones On World Off' in big bold letters across my hot pink shirt.

"Well, music seems to be my only escape lately," I shared. "I mean - sorry - just moved here and I'm still getting used to it."

Great job, Sophie. Quite the overshare.

He nodded and introduced himself. "I'm Harry Styles."

Harry Styles...Harry Styles....I know that name. I just couldn't put my finger on it because everything was happening quickly, but I reached out to shake his hand - which was soft and warm. "I'm Sophie."

"Sophie, what type of music do you listen to?"

"I listen to all kinds. I'm not a huge country fan...but I keep an open mind." I replied.

"How would you like to go to a private show - a concert - tonight?" He asked.

I thought about it for a minute. I hadn't been out since we arrived and I was sure Alexander wouldn't mind.

"Sounds great!" I answered. "Where and when?"

He reached out and gently grabbed my phone. He punched in his number and pressed send. As he ended the call, he said, "I will text you the time and directions. It was lovely to meet you."

I felt my cheeks warm as he emphasized the 'di' in directions. It sounded more like 'die-rections.' I found it extremely charming.

"I look forward to it," I said smiling.

I placed my headphones back on and pressed play. As the music started, I noticed the group of girls had grown and a few gave me dirty looks. Confused, I started my run again.