Unknown Number

I felt slightly uncomfortable after our conversation in the laundry closet and I wanted to just get out of there. I took a cab to Macy's and called Harry. He invited me to see a Broadway show, but I was in no mood for that, so I suggested a movie and popcorn in the small theater in his apartment. He agreed and told me Carl would pick me up in 30 minutes.

I picked out a yellow sundress, white cardigan and black shoes. Then I grabbed a sun hat and pilot sunglasses to help 'hide' me from the paparazzi. I changed in the closest restroom and slipped into my new outfit.

Charles appeared out of nowhere to assist me out of the store. I chuckled to myself when there was only one camera out front and Charles climbed in the car with me. 

"Very unnecessary," I joked. 

Charles smirked and said, "you can never be too careful."

_____

Carl got us to the building within 15 minutes; we jumped out, got into the service elevator, rode to the 18th floor and knocked on Harry's door. The smile on his face nearly melted me. 

"You look beautiful," he said and hugged me close.

I blushed and looked at my feet. He gently lifted my chin up so our eyes could meet, he brushed my hair out of my face after removing my hat and leaned down to kiss my lips. The warm sensation made my body tingle. I kissed him harder.

"Let's go choose a movie," he whispered. "Our Caesar salads will be here soon."

We held hands as we walked to the small theater room and looked through his enormous library of movies. I pointed to The Notebook and gave him the best puppy dog eyes I could - while trying not to burst out laughing.

"Sure... We can watch a chick flick..." he said in the best American accent he could muster and rolled his eyes.

I laughed and kissed him. He had become one of the best friends I had had in a long time. The doorman rang the service bell to let us know the food was just outside of the door. Harry went and retrieved it while I grabbed us each a bottle of water.

Our meals were delicious. Harry popped some popcorn while I cleaned up our mess. 

"Want to wear something more comfortable for the movie?" He said cheekily.

"Harry Styles, I'm not watching this movie naked," I quipped.

"That's not what I meant," he laughed. "How about a pair of my boxers and a tshirt?"

"I'm ok, really." I replied. 

His phone buzzed on the table. He glanced at it and excused himself as he answered in his bedroom. I walked over to the balcony, opened the door and sat down in one of the lounge chairs.

Harry joined me about 10 minutes later - he had a serious expression on his face.

"Sophie, we need to talk..." He started.

I looked at his face trying to read where this conversation was headed. 

"Do you recall a few weeks ago when I said we needed to talk about Unknown Number?"

I nodded, still attempting to read him.

"Well, that was the PI, we officially know who was behind it."

I sat up and clenched my hands together in my lap.

"Sophie, your husband's manager has people watching you," he said carefully.

My jaw almost hit the floor. "I'm sorry - John??" 

It didn't make sense. John was supposed to be building Alexander's career not trying to ruin it. Harry's private investigator had to be wrong.

"I know it's hard to believe, but John has hired a few people to assist in this..." 

"Alexander doesn't know, does he?" I whispered even though my husband couldn't hear me.

Harry shook his head and continued. "The PI overheard John speaking to a female that any publicity is better than none. And with a story like this, Alexander was sure to get noticed."

My heart hurt hearing those words. My 'issues' had turned my husband into a victim. Alexander needed to know - but what did this mean for his career? Or for our divorce? Now we knew how the media had found out. 

Harry reached out and pulled me close to his body. He rubbed my back and told me everything would be ok - this wasn't just about my relationship with Alexander. Harry's name had been pulled into it with several untrue accusations. 

"You need to be the one to tell Alexander," he said softly. "My team can take care of legal actions...his career will not falter."

I started crying, but nodded my head. I would tell Alexander first thing in the morning and we would call Amanda Roberson together. Harry grabbed a tissue from the box on his coffee table and handed it to me.

He lifted me up - bridal style - and carried me to the theater and set me on the sofa. He turned on the TV, grabbed an extra box of tissues and pressed play. He knew I was distracted, but he sat and held me the whole time. Of course, I cried at certain parts and laughed at others, but I couldn't stop thinking about John. And who else he had 'spying' on me.

The movie ended, Harry called for Carl and Charles to escort me home. He squeezed me once more before I turned to walk out; however, at the last minute, he decided to come with me. He dressed quickly and we left together. 

_____

Harry kissed me before I stepped out of the car. 

"Everything will be alright," he reassured me again. I waved goodbye as his car drove away.

Alexander and the boys were not home when I walked in the door at 9:30pm. I scowled, but decided to shower before calling him.