The Pressure

It was Thursday. I was at work, Alexander had the boys and my mother was flying into NYC for the weekend. The boys were excited to see their grandma and admittedly, I was looking forward to seeing her after all this time. Although we weren't always on the same page, she was still my mother and I loved her.

"Sophie, are you leaving at lunch?" My coworker, Linda, asked me.

"No, my mom's plane gets in around 6, so I will leave here around 4:30. I want to stop home and change." 

"Good, we're going to the new deli downstairs," she told me.

"Sure," I chuckled.

As we walked down the stairs, Linda chatted to me about the new man she was dating. She was 50, single and apparently, ready to mingle. She met Todd at a networking event; he spilled his red punch on his white pants and she gave him advice as to how to prevent a stain. Once we had ordered and grabbed our bags, Linda and I chose a seat near the window. 

Shortly after, a heavily tinted car pulled up and people started scrambling. Zayn hopped out of the car waving to fans and paparazzi. I was surprised when Harry climbed out behind him. He smiled and waved before entering the building. 

Linda and I watched as the two walked past the small cafe and met with Brad - our marketing manager. They chatted and laughed while waiting for the elevator. The doors were closing before Harry noticed I was sitting at the small table. He scowled and tried to say something but the doors shut. I laughed out loud. 

We finished our lunches and walked back up to our floor. Linda sat in my office to talk the rest of our lunch hour. She told me that Todd worked for Y100 radio and would be back in NYC next week from his trip to China. They had a romantic weekend planned and she wanted me to go shopping with her. I agreed, but admittedly, I was a little distracted knowing Harry was in the building. I assumed he'd stop by and visit before he left so I vowed to try and stay focused on Linda.

"So, have your mother's feelings toward Harry changed?" Linda asked looking me straight in the eyes.

"I don't know," I shrugged. "It's been a topic that we've avoided."

"Well, I think she will adore him. And being single...I would worry about her trying to steal him." 

We both laughed until we heard a knock at the door.

"Come in," I said regaining my composure.

Harry walked in.

"Hello, Linda. How are you today, love?" He asked politely.

"I'm great. But this is my cue to leave. Nice to see you, Harry." She dipped her head and scurried out of my office.

I stood up and met him with a kiss.

"I brought something for you," he said slyly then handed me a folder. 

I smiled when I opened it. It was filled with photographs of Zayn from the shoot - modeling Harry's clothing line. They looked wonderful.

"Harry, these are incredible," I praised him. "Your clothes are fantastic! I'm so proud of you."

We kissed again.

"Thank you," he smiled proudly.

_____

Lunch was delicious, my visit with Harry was a pleasant surprise, but as the clock hit 3:45, I could actually feel my stomach clenching. I was just so nervous, yet excited to see her. Suddenly, the phone on my desk rang. 

"Ms. Grant?"

"Yes, Kevin?" I asked the operator.

"You have a call on line 2. The caller sounds upset, shall I patch her through?" he asked, hoping for more gossip.

"Please do," I answered avoiding that talk.

I heard Kevin groan quietly then hang up. The call came through- my thoughts had gone straight to my mother, so I lifted the receiver quickly.

"Sophie?" The woman's voice asked. "Sophie Grant?"

"May I ask who is calling, please?" I asked, not quite sure who was on the line.

"It's, um, Anastasia."

Anastasia?

"Sophie, is that you?" The young woman's voice snapped me back to reality.

"Yes," I replied.

"Oh good," she breathed. "You're probably working, but I wanted you to know I saw what you wrote. And, well, you're right. This whole situation is a mess. I plan to clear Harry's name soon. My family pressured me. Promise me you won't tell him yet?"

I sat shocked. My hand involuntarily picked up a pen and started drawing on the nearest piece of paper. I thought silently about my answer.

"I do not want to hide anything from Harry. Have you told anyone else what you've decided?"

"No. Just you."

I sighed. Honestly, I felt sorry for her. My letter had done exactly what I had hoped, but I never expected her to actually reach out to me. Especially since she was being so open.

My cell phone beeped just as I began to speak, so I glanced at the screen. It was a text from my sister asking if mother had landed. 

"How are you going to do this?" I asked gently.

"I was thinking of writing a letter to Harry. An apology letter. I want to be sure everyone knows the truth. You're right - he's a great guy and he deserves so much better than this," her voice cracked.

I heard her sobbing. "I think it's very brave of you to do this."

"Really? How could you be so nice to me after all I've done?" She asked between sobs.

I didn't know how to answer. "Do you need anything? How is your baby? Are you happy with your doctor?"

"Mhm, my doctor is great. My baby is great. She has a very healthy heartbeat," she gushed. "And apparently, a head full of hair."

She. Anastasia was having a girl. My throat felt tight. But I quickly reminded myself that this was NOT Harry's baby - thank goodness.

"Oh wow! A girl? Do you have a named picked out?"

"Actually, my favorite name is Paloma. It means 'dove'." 

"That's beautiful," I told her.

"Sophie, can I keep your number? Just in case," she asked nervously.

"Of course. I look forward to reading your letter - I'm sure you will feel so much better." 

"Thank you, Sophie. Harry is so lucky to have you in his life." 

"Have a nice weekend, Anastasia."

"You too."

And with that, the line went dead. I let out a breath I didn't even realize I was holding and looked at the clock on my desk. It was 4:30 and I needed to get going to meet my mother at the airport. As I collected my things, I couldn't help but smile. I could feel a wave of change brewing. Now if only I could get my mother to approve of Harry.