Midnight Drives

I picked up my phone and called him. It rang four times.

"Hey baby," his raspy voice sighed through the phone.

"Are you okay?"

"Not really," he replied honestly.

"Well, I'm home in my pajamas....wanna come over?" I asked nervously.

"I would like to get out."

"Let's go somewhere then!"

"It's almost midnight," he sighed again.

"So, we can go for a drive."

"I'll be over shortly."

"Love you."

_____

I had changed out of my pajamas into jeans and a hoodie, then threw on some make up. His SUV pulled up to curb just as I walked outside. He got out and walked around to meet me. I looked him over - his brown hair was pulled into a bun, his black jeans had holes exposing his knees, his jacket reached his thighs and hung open displaying the Kiss t-shirt underneath. Of course, his gold boots brought a smile to my face.

I glanced up into his worried eyes and stepped closer to him. My fingers brushed against his cheek and traced across his full pink lips. He reached out and pulled my body into his. Our lips met and slowly danced their familiar dance - the touch alone made me weak in the knees.

His arms wrapped even tighter around me until there was no space between us. Even though it had only been a few days we had missed each other. This situation was draining and causing a slight rift between us.

"Let's go," he motioned toward the SUV.

Once in the car, he kissed my cheek, started the car, rolled the windows down, turned the music up, then put the engine in drive. The city still buzzed as people made their way to wherever they needed to be. The cool air felt amazing as it blew through the car. His hand reached over and grabbed mine. I looked at him. His eyes sparkled as they met mine.

"Thank you," he mouthed not bothering to lower the music.

I smiled and looked at our hands. I loved this man. He made me feel. And somehow I knew the feeling was mutual. It was as if our souls connected - we just fit together. As we left the city, listening to his favorite tunes, I began to realize that I wanted to be a part of his life for good. I needed to figure out how to make this chaos disappear - Anastasia's lie would have to be exposed.

_____

"Up for some treats?" I hadn't even realized we were stopped or the music was off.

I nodded. It was just after 3 am and Harry had parked in front of his favorite bakery in New Jersey.

"Though, I doubt anyone is here," I said looking around.

"Actually, they start preparing for the day at 3," he grinned.

We got out of the car and walked to the back of the building. He knocked four times and waited.

"May I help ya?" The thick accent asked us from behind the door.

"Roger, it's me, Harry Styles," he answered.

The door swung open. Roger greeted Harry with a brilliant smile then brought him in for a hug. I chuckled quietly. Not many people would just grab Harry that way, so it was a little surprising.

"Harry! So glad to see you!" Roger said loudly. "And who's this pretty lady?"

"This is Sophie, the love of my life," Harry answered confidently.

I stared at him, my jaw on the floor.

"Nice to meet you, Sophie," Roger grabbed me for a hug, but my eyes never left Harry.

He smiled when he noticed and then looked at his boots. So many thoughts and questions rushed through my head. However, the one thing that stood out the most was just how happy Harry was right in that moment.

____

"These cronuts are delicious," I rubbed my hand over my belly. "I'm positively stuffed. Thank you, Roger."

He beamed. "Take some for the road." And handed a bagful to me.

"Maybe next time you will come during normal business hours?" He grinned and nudged Harry with his elbow.

Harry hummed and nodded his head. "Ready to go, love?"

"Yes. Roger, everything was delicious. Thank you so much," I gave him a gentle squeeze and excused myself to the restroom.

As I washed my hands, I heard Roger attempting to whisper.

"Is she the one? Are you going to marry her?"

"I want to. Everything seems so complicated right now," Harry sighed.

"With love, there is no complication. She will say yes," Roger said his voice deep and serious, accent thick.

_____

We headed back toward the city. It was close to 6 am. We actually hadn't had much of a conversation between us, which worried me a little. I quickly lowered the music and turned to face him.

"Are you upset about something? The fact that I met Zayn?" I blurted out.

His eyes glanced out the window, he took a deep breath, his face turned serious.

"It's not that."

"Well, would you kindly tell me what it is?" My worry grew.

"I know you've felt the shift in our relationship," he practically whispered. "Sophie, I'm committed to you. This situation with Anastasia couldn't have come at a worse time."

I reached my hand out to touch his leg and comfort him.

"I don't want this to ruin us," he said.

"It won't. I believe you. The truth will come out - hopefully sooner than later. I'm in this with you."

"Stay with me tonight?" His eyes reflected the lights of the city.

"I thought you'd never ask...."