CHAPTER 4

I sat on my scarf while mumbling prayers , I was just about to loose hope when I saw a car coming towards the house as it parked directly in front of the gate waiting for it to be opened .

It was not just any car like the car my neighbor's used to drive in Maiduguri . It was a very nice looking white colored car , very clean and very smooth .

The person driving the car called the gateman who then rushed to the window's side of the car as he speaks to the person inside the car .

"Who's she ? " I heard the person asked in a very masculine deep voice .

"I don't know young boss , I think she's looking for a job . " The old gateman replied trying his best to use the best selection of respectful words he knows .

"Then what are you doing here ? Stop thinking , go and find out who she is ! " I heard the person I assumed to be the young boss said to the gateman who then rushed to my side .

"Are you looking for a job ? " The gateman asked me in a much nicer tone than before . Probably so that he can impress his so-called young boss .
Thinking about it , it's a good idea to get a job , a source of earning as I'm living in a state I have never been before .

"Yes ..." I responded hoping they'll hire me for just any work , just any , I have to do it , I have to survive , I'm not just going to exist , I'll live and survive just like I promised Momma .

The old gateman rushed to the car window and spoke "young boss , she said she's looking for a job . "

" Bring her in . " I heard the young boss replied and commanded for the gate to be open for him through which he entered in .

The gateman quickly opened the gate skillfully like he's already used to it and stepped aside as young boss drove in making the gateman to quickly close the gate back .
He then rushed to my side and said to me "Follow me . "

I hastily got up , slip into my worn out sandals and carried my scarf on the floor , I dusted it and continue to hold it on my hands as I feel the hijab on me getting heavy .

I quietly followed the gateman as he opened the door of the gate , I entered inside and stood there frozen in a spot due the sight in front of me now , it's a very large field and just the next building is far from where I stood .

I continued to follow the gateman as we kept on walking on the gravels that probably leads somewhere. The gateman followed a right corner through which there's a large gate that's smaller compared to the first gate.

I followed the gateman inside through the gate and that's when I saw a very large 2-step building with the same grey color , it's obvious that the building screams 'money' .

We kept on walking till we reached the golden colored door of the building , the gateman pressed a socket that made a sound I'm not so familiar with. We waited until and old woman opened the door .

The grey top and skirt she had on made me realize that she's a housemaid in the house because Momma used to wear a similar uniform but with a different color when she was working for a particular family in Maiduguri.

" Remove your shoes.. " The old woman said referring to me because the gateman has already removed his shoes even before she said so , I quietly bent down and pulled the tips of my sandals quietly removing it .

She moved for us to enter when we removed our shoes , as I stepped into the house , an extremely chilled air washed over my whole body.

_____
Q : Who's your best author ?