CHAPTER 17

I didn't care to ask anyone when I didn't see Habiba for the whole week . But when I woke up on the first Monday of next week , I prepared myself that I'll ask young boss about her whereabouts .

After doing all my daily morning routine , I walked out of the room dressed in a dark pink gown , just plain dark pink with its veil on top of my pink cap .

I walked towards the hallway and entered in , I don't think I care as long as the young boss will not catch me in the hallway . Moreover I seem to find my way to the living room much faster and easier than following the other alternative way .

My work has been much lately , without Habiba now I am the one doing her work which is to serve the young boss food and his guest , or sometimes to serve Amina .

I walked to the living room and luckily for me Inaya was already there dressed in her school uniform . I didn't let my legs to reach her place because I did a U-turn to the kitchen .

Fetching her breakfast and lunch box was what I did next , I walked back to the living room to Inaya . "Good morning. " Inaya said to me at the same time passing me her green school tie obviously to help her knot it . It looks like Amina still doesn't know how to knot it .

I dropped her sandwich and orange juice for her on the table together with her prepared lunch box before collecting the tie . I held it firmly and knotted it neatly around her neck and reversed my legs back to let her eat her sandwich and orange juice .

"Do you know something ? " I heard her ask after swallowing the first bite she took , her huge eyes held a lot of curiosity, just like how Zakir's own does .

"What happened? " I asked the seven year old pretty girl in front of me .

Inaya was quick to reply "I went to Amina's house last week . " She said to me .

"Good . " I answered not really getting her point .

Inaya shook her head and continued "when I was outside the gate of their house , I saw a boy passing together with Arman and he looks just like you . "
He looks just like me ... who could that be , Zakir ? No it's definitely not Zakir , we went towards different directions, I'm pretty sure it's not him .

"Who is Arman ? " I asked Inaya who then replied "He's my cousin , Amina's elder brother . " She replied .

"The boy he was with looks just like me ? " I asked at the same time raising one of my eyebrows confusingly.

"Probably your lookalike , I heard that everyone has a lookalike somewhere . " Inaya spoke and continue to eat her breakfast focusing all her attention on the food .

I brushed away the topic so as not to hurt my delicate heart . Momma , Baba Aliyu and Zakir , they are all a very delicate topic that I don't really want to remember that I lost them . Yet it still feels like Zakir is here , with me , in Kano .

"Inaya , where's the young boss ? " I asked the girl that just finished eating her breakfast.
"He left for work since . " She replied and rose up at the same time ready to leave for school.

"Let's go , I'll escort you to the gate . " I said to Inaya .

"Don't worry , go and eat , I can go by myself . " Inaya responded.

She probably noticed from my dry lips that I took nothing this morning , I'm sure my stomach didn't grumble so it's probably through my dry lips .

I gave Inaya a light goodbye hug before letting her go , carrying her used plate on the table was what I did next and took it to the kitchen where I peacefully ate my breakfast. It was peaceful eating my breakfast without Habiba to disturb .

Relieved . Satisfied. Nice . Was all it felt like .

________________
Q : What's your thoughts on ZAKIR ?