In My View

Now he was in my view. My target.

So close...

I took a gasping breath of air. Sitting up as I dragged panting breaths deep into my chest.

"Are you okay?" Lyra Lani knelt next to me. Clutching my shoulders. "We lost you for a moment there."

"What happened?"

"Some manner of trembles overtook you."

"I was somewhere else..."

"Well I hope it was better than that." Lyra Lani tossed her head over her shoulder toward the crack where ragged male grunts were huffing on the other side of the wall. And the wails of the old woman's pleasure filled the air.

Or her pain.

It was hard to tell which. But since she'd come here of her own volition, I was guessing she was enjoying submitting to the brutality of her mate.

As I sometimes do.

***

"Come back with me." Lyra Lani helped me to my feet. "We must get back."

I got on my feet and had to take a moment to steady myself. Putting a hand to my pounding forehead.

"I should probably visit Rebekah." I admitted. Knowing my mates would be furious if I went injured, back to them after sneaking out.

They'll kill me.

And now I had another problem to contend with. I had three lusty mates.

And I can't drink Marta's tea anymore. Clearly she can't be trusted. Especially not after I'd seen what she'd done to Jaecar.

So she could sneak off for a dalliance with a NightHunter.

"What if they invade tonight?" I asked anxiously.

"I'll let Draven know immediately. But I'd hazard a guess that if they intended to invade tonight, he'd not have spent time prodding our eldest she-wolf instead of leading his army through that crack."

She's probably right.

"And I don't think he could fit through there."

"Well, he clearly disassembled it for her." Lyra Lani argued.

She's right on that too.

"We need to let as many of the males know as possible. Draven then Fury first."

"Fury?" I reared back. "Why Fury?"

Lyra Lani gave me a furtive note and her voice dropped. "You still don't know what he is?"

"What is he?"

"Oh..." Lyra Lani shook her head. "That's not for me to tell. You best ask Rebekah and see if you can persuade her to confide in you."

"Why Rebekah?"

"Oh, Vanna Rae..." Lyra Lani patted my shoulder. "For the sharpest she-wolf in this camp you are heart-wrenchingly oblivious on occasion."

I frowned at her in confusion. Now that was another puzzle I wanted to sort out.

Perhaps need to, if Fury could prove a danger to my mates. Since I was having them do things for me that the pack would not approve of.

***

As we drew near the Hayden Hut I was relieved to see Jaecar awake and sitting up. A hand pressing fabric to the bleeding side of his head.

Rebekah was near him, tending him carefully and asking him questions.

As we approached, she put a motherly hand on Jaecar's shoulder to get him to focus on the questions she was asking about his pain.

Fury's gaze was locked on Rebekah's face as she spoke. Nearly unblinkingly. And as her small hand landed on Jaecar's shoulder, Fury's upper lip twitched in annoyance.

Does he desire Rebekah? Is that what Lyra Lani meant.

I gave our new Beta a questioning look.

She snorted and shook her head. Moving toward Rebekah to catch her attention. Pointing to me.

"She had a fainting spell." Lyra Lani explained.

"Then started shaking." She imitated what I'd done. Her arms outstretched and her gaze unfocused as she vibrated.

That's what I'd been doing?

"Seizure." Rebekah said flatly. Rising to walk to me. "How do you feel now."

"I'm okay." I said softly. "Head ache."

"That's common." Rebekah gave me a concerned look. "But you should be fine to return home. As long as someone is there to take care of you."

"I have three mates." I said dryly. Giving her a bleak look.

She giggled. "Not that kind of care."

I laughed in return. Catching her joke. But as I peeked at Fury in my peripheral, I saw him shifting in discomfort.

When Rebekah looked at him he rounded and muttered he was returning to guard the wall.

"Go home, Jaecar!" He barked the command over his shoulder.

"He's right." Rebekah returned to him. "You need to get some rest. Stay awake awhile and have Samantha stay up with you."

He nodded slowly. "She'll be worried to all Hell, as is."

***

I returned to the hut. Taking a long breath as I cracked the door and tried to sneak in. I turned and closed the door slowly to keep the latch from ticking too loudly.

But when I turned there was a large male towering over me.

"Did you think I wouldn't hear someone sneaking around?"

"Hunter..."

"You made me a promise, and you're putting it off." There was hurt in his voice. And I knew if I used my wolf's gaze to see in the dark, I'd see pain in his blue eyes.

"I'm not putting you off." I said tenderly. Touching his shoulder. "I heard something outside and went to check it out."

"By yourself!"

"Ssh." I put a frantic finger to my lips. Looking at the other two bunks on the bottom level.

"Don't bother." Vanquish's dry voice rose from the bed. "We all heard you leave. And no one is sleeping with the racket you two are raising."

"Sorry." I said apologetically. Knowing he needed to rest from his time guarding the wall earlier today.

"It's fine." He rolled to a sitting position. "Care to share what was so important you crept out in the dead of night without any of us to protect you?"

There's that dangerous note that means I'm in trouble.

"We'd dearly love to know." Racer sat up on his bunk as well.

They were all exuding fury.

I'm in trouble...