Augmenting Forces

They all looked up and met a pair of familiar dark eyes.

The Alpha of the Asara pack.

"Draven." Rebekah leapt to her feet. "We had to come."

"I know." Draven lifted a staying hand. Calming the woman. "I knew where you were going."

Rebekah leaned around him to see Lyra Lani standing just behind him. Casting her a betrayed look.

"Don't be mad at my mate." Draven said in warning. "She did exactly as she should. She does not keep secrets from me."

He gave Fury a dark look.

Fury straightened slowly.

"You know well, I go where she goes." He gestured to Rebekah.

"I know you weren't about to let her be alone out here this time of year."

Fury lowered his head but said nothing.

There wasn't accusation in Draven's tone.

It was flat. But those that knew him, knew he had a great understanding of basic behavior. Sympathy for the needs of others. When his voice was flat it meant he understood.

"You want to find them?" Fury processed what he'd said.

"Yes. Before the NightHunters."

Hawk, still clutching his side walked out the door and stepped onto the grass beyond the hut. Finding himself completely surrounded by people he didn't know.

But from the energy they were generating, he knew what they were.

Wolves.

Fury and Rebekah exited the hut just behind him. Seeing the faces of Samantha and Jaecar, many of the Asara males, looking resolute and vicious. And even Aloira and Cindy were there. Scantily clad but not willing to be left behind.

"Who guards the wall?" Fury queried.

"I left a handful of men." Draven explained.

"I'd rather take on the NightHunters with you among us."

"I've wanted Lorem dead a long while." Draven said.

"Ever since he killed your aunt." Fury filled in.

"Yes." Draven recalled how loving the she-wolf had been. Always kind. And she had helped care for them in the years after their mother took sick. But when Lorem had gotten his eyes on her, he didn't care that he already had a mate. And when he caught wind that Draven's aunt was putting poison in the ear of his mate, Marta, he'd already known what he would do when the next Mating Moon came.

"We're going to have to pick up one of her mates in the next village." Hawk nodded down the hill. "She left him there to keep the women and children safe."

"I have males for that." Draven nodded. "Let's get there."

He waited for Hawk to lead the way.

Hawk hesitantly began walking.

Zyra crept behind him with her eerily silent step. She brushed her fingertips over his shoulder. Sending out another hiss of sparks that convulsed through him with a violent jerk.

He shouted through gritted teeth and whirled on her. "Stop doing that!"

"Do you feel more revived?" She quirked a dark brow. Noting that he stood straighter and was no longer holding his side. Already emanating a slight green light around him.

He looked at his hands. His brow furrowing. "Yes, actually."

"You're welcome." She stalked off. Leather skirts snapping.