Time to Fight

"You're all furious. Your blood is up and your vicious." I noted. Giving them all an assessing study. Explaining even as the idea fully formed in my mind.

They both looked at me as if I were a fool for declaring the obvious.

"We're going to use that."

They all looked at me flabbergasted.

I need to explain. Quick.

There was already indignation written over them.

"Tonight, we're hunting. There are two or three packs within walking range tonight. You said they're already smelling me. So, we'll use that too."

I'll be bait.

They'll be completely distracted by wanting to mount me. They'll be slaughtered by my mates.

Hunter and Racer exchanged a look. But it was Vanquish that said what they were all thinking. "No."

"Yes."

"No." Hunter shook his head adamantly. "You could end up underneath the whole pack. Do you have any idea what you smell like?"

Not really.

I knew that the female pheromones grew higher, each day closer to the Mating Moon. But as far as being able to smell it for myself, I couldn't.

Racer inhaled deeply. His eyes flaring yellow.

"So sweet." He crooned. Slumping dreamily against the side of the house.

"Almost impossible to resist." Hunter added.

"You're not going down there." Vanquish said. "We won't risk it."

"They're right." Magus said softly from behind them all. "It's too dangerous."

"She's right though." It was Hawk that chimed in to add. "It'd be a brilliant tactic. They'd be far too focused on her scent and their lust to worry about adeptly fighting back a force."

"We're hardly a force." Magus scoffed.

"Exactly why such a tactic would benefit us."

I gave Vanquish a pleading look. Knowing if I gave commands while they were all in this aggressive state it would likely result in an even more volatile taking.

I need to be careful how I word things the next few nights.

I remembered the burning pain I'd endured last year. I can't do that again.

And even I knew that my mates were right. I was risking a lot more than that if the whole pack ended up with me.

I wouldn't do well as a pack bitch.

***

I was dealing with a distinct lack of time.

Killian was coming for me. And as much as I yearned for that, I was still starved for revenge. Knowing my brother lived didn't take away the pain that caused my tremors, every single time I even thought of the blood of my tiny brothers.

And how badly I'd wanted to protect them.

It was like that scene was forever on repeat in my brain.

There was excitement, anticipation, and hope that soon I would see my big brother but there was fear too.

He'll stop me.

Killian would never let me put myself in danger.

If I thought Vanquish was bossy...Then I'd forgotten Killian.

If I want revenge, I need to take it now.

"The answer is no, Vanna Rae." Vanquish said softly. Squeezing my hand.

Glaring hatefully at him, I yanked my hand from his grip.

His fell somewhat limply and his mouth opened but before he could say a word, I went inside and slammed the door.

I'm not stupid. I paced inside. Rubbing the back of my neck in worry. I know what I'm risking.

I'm the one the most at risk, and I'm willing

to do it. What right has he, to say I can't?

I knew Vanquish was the obstacle. With him there as an immoveable force, I'd never get Hunter or Racer to go with me.

They'll both agree with him, unless he decides to go.

Because, whether the rest of us liked it or not, he was by far the most ferocious of us.

I need him.

That made the she-wolf in me angry. Very, very angry.

No, I don't. I'm not the same weak beast that could barely remember what I was, when I came to the Asara Pack.

I was the daughter of an Alpha. Princess of one of the oldest wolf families.

And I won't be ordered to stand down when the most ideal opportunity presents itself.

The fact that everything was clicking into place just as the Mating Moon was rising was a sign.

I need to take advantage of it!

Every beast in the woods would be hunkering down, plotting how to mount or be mounted by the mate of their choice.

It was the perfect time to descend like a guillotine.

***

It was hours later, long after I'd scrambled back into my dirty clothes, when Vanquish cracked the door. Sliding in carefully as though he half-expected me to be hiding behind the door.

To slit his throat probably.

I was tempted. I stopped pacing to glare at him. Nearly vibrating with rage.

"Come on, Vanna. You're not a stupid girl." He sighed. "What did you really expect me to say? What kind of a mate would I be if I marched you down that hill as bait to be marked by an enemy."

I looked at him, feeling my expression fracture. He wasn't wrong.

Not when he put it like that.

Perhaps I would've felt hurt if he was that willing to do it.

But it needs doing, nonetheless. I steeled myself against his low, persuasive tone. His green eyes looking at me so pleadingly. All that alpha bravado tamped down as he tried to rationalize with me.

"Van, you can't possibly seek to reason with me when you were so reasonable yourself, just a short time ago."

He grimaced. "I have no excuses."

His hands dropped to his side.

But he did. He had many. He's as potent as an Alpha. He's violent and aggressive.

All things I knew when I took him as my mate.

He just wasn't going to offer them right now.

"Think about how mindless you were a few hours ago." I tossed my hand for emphasis. "What would you have done if someone had attacked you?"

"I'd have never seen it coming." He admitted. Walking to me and collecting my rigid hands in his. "But it's not the best way to do it. We can strategize. Outfight them."

"Outthink them." He tapped his temple.

"Vanquish, it is not time to think. It is time to fight. We're going to miss a valuable window."

"You're not going to listen to me, are you?"

"If I tell you the truth, will you go with me?"

"No. I'll tie you to that chair."

"Fine." My mouth tightened. "Then I'll lie."

"Too late."