The Power of Mages

I knew what a mage was. I understood their power and knew King Detry used them to hunt wolves.

But I'd had no idea what it'd really look like when they wielded there magic. Not until the moment I unleashed Hawk and Magus on this camp.

It was chaos.

They were a nightmare of magic.

In a way I thought us changing form was a type of magic. But in comparison to what I witnessed now...

It's nothing.

The duo was running through the camp. Tossing bodies from their path with a flick of their hand. Muttering words under their breath which sent bodies into the air in a flurry of motion.

Standing back near the trees was the pretty blonde who seemed to be watching nervously. Her gaze flicking to watch the destruction but seeming unsure about rushing in.

Though she hasn't fled.

That's something.

I used a long, curved dagger Magus had collected off the first wolf he saw and promptly handed to me.

The NightHunter guard was walking the treeline while the rest slept. Scattered over the ground. A few grass huts, hastily thrown up stood in the center surrounding a massive bonfire. A sturdier wooden shack lurked ominously toward the back.

Looking very much like the one they were keeping the Pack Bitch in up the hill.

I suspected that was what this one too, was for. There's probably some tormented girl in there now.

Further out from the campfire were the shuddering, curled up forms of what I guessed had been the villagers

here.

Before the NightHunters came.

They looked so cold and helpless. Dressed in clothes that were torn around the hems and barely covered them.

Good enough to be rags and not much more.

I realized how well taken care of, we were in the Asara Pack.

Draven had done us well. He'd found only the most elite wolves to join our pack.

Only those that had something to contribute.

Then he'd vetted them to ensure they'd not cause more problems than good.

In the back of my mind, I heard him through the wood door, as I had before, telling the others that if I wasn't going to be properly socialized, then there was no point in them having me in the pack.

At the time that had sent hurt and terror through me. But I'd grown far wiser over the last year, despite what some might think, and I now understood that he was only looking out for the pack's best interests.

Which made me feel a pang of guilt that I'd been consuming Marta's teas. To keep from carrying pups.

I knew my mates were suspect as to how I could have three virile lovers and still have not conceived. Yet none had pressed the issue.

Yet.

***

Magus had gestured to the male and spasmed his hand which made the man's head cock at an unnatural angle with a crack that seemed to echo from the trees and rouse many of the others.

Anyone wearing the black sash of the NightHunter was quickly cut down.

Magus seemed to be able to see in two directions at

once.

The rousing wolves shook their heads blearily and turned to stare at me. Their senses dulled by the smell of a new breedable in their mist. Their eyes found me, and they'd slowly climb to their feet but before any could reach me Magus and Hawk were there. A blur of motion moving wildly.

They were both now armed, and I quickly assessed that they were experts with blades.

I hazarded a guess that this was one of the first things they'd learned amidst King Detry's Mages Guild.

I crouched to the ground twisting and shaking my hair to ensure that my scent was all over the grass and twigs.

Those that hadn't risen to the sounds of their brethren falling were now rolling into a lunge and aiming for me.

I readied my knife and watched their approach. Sinking the blade into the hilt in the stomach of the first man that headed for me. There had been such raw need on his face that I wasn't entirely sure he'd even seen my weapon.

It was barely a fair fight.

I was abruptly dragged up to my feet by my hair. Reaching behind myself to claw at the hand gripping my long tresses.

It was just out of reach.

I was lifted nearly off my toes.

"What have we here?" It was a dark, masculine tone I didn't recognize.

Who is it?

I was thankful, on the other hand, that it wasn't one of my mates. I was fairly certain that if they caught me down here, they'd be nowhere near this kind. I felt teeth sink viciously into my shoulder.