NightHunter Alpha

When I pushed open the door of the shack, the Alpha was waiting inside. Crouched near the fire and watched the door intently.

"I smelled you coming." His eyes were hooded. His scarred face showed his interest. "You have the most delicious scent."

His gaze was thoughtful on me. "But I smell males on you."

I'd thought he might. So, I had an excuse prepared. "It is nearly the Mating Moon, Alpha. Males have been musking me at every opportunity."

"Mmm." He rumbled. "I want to musk you."

I nearly shuddered at the thought. Almost angry that another male would dare touch me. But I reminded myself that this was how I wanted him to think. I needed him not to know I was already marked. I had my hair covering my shoulders and neck for just that reason.

Mary stood quietly behind me. Her hands linked demurely before her. A distance away.

"Who is she? She doesn't smell of wolf."

Keen senses.

Most males were so lust crazed at this time that they'd barely be able to register she was anything more than a warm hole.

"She is my servant. My companion."

"She is very fair. Do you share her?" He eyed Mary thoughtfully as he rose. Towering over us.

To say that I wasn't intimidated by the huge height and breadth of the man would've been a lie. He was massive. And as he moved nearer the firelight, I saw the giant scar streaming down his face and it was a stark reminder of my past.

I could immediately recall him ordering the slaughter of my brothers. Telling me that I'd be his and he would use me to rule the Gallions. I felt my body beginning to shudder and took several slow breaths. Willing myself not to fall into an episode of the tremors.

Looking at him had my teeth gritting, and my pulse thrumming in my ears. It was everything I had not to launch at him. Instead, I shifted my hips to feel the hard steel of the dagger I had tucked into the waist of my dress.

"I do not."

I'd share nothing with you.

"She is my loyal servant and a friend. And delicate human that she is, it is unlikely she'd survive a coupling with one such as you." I gave him a seductive smile.

His dark eyes went hooded as they landed on me.

There was a screeching howl far in the distance and the Alpha's head popped up. His brows lowering.

"What?" I asked coyly edging closer.

"Sounded like someone I know."

Should.

It's your mate. Crying out while they mount her.

But I concealed my thoughts. My gaze fixed on him. I strode close enough to caress his arm. Circling him slightly. "I've heard how powerful of form you are. How you protect those you find interesting."

"Have you heard that? Usually, the rumors depict how cold and ruthless I can be." His face flashed with warning. Telling me that he was seeing my manipulation but willing to indulge in it.

He's cleverer than one might give him credit for.

I need to watch my step.

I could feel a restless anxiety in the distance.

My mates.

I could almost sense the heartbeat of each. Hear their breaths in my ears as they worried about where I was and if I was okay. I forced my heart rate to slow. To let them know I was calm. Because I understood they were sensing me.