Gallions

"What did you say, Vanna Rae?" Vanquish was urging.

I gave him a befuddled look. Trying to recall what it was he was talking about. My brain felt as if it were made of pudding. It was hard to filter through even very recent thoughts.

I felt like a fool that it took me so long to catch up.

He's asking about the name.

What I said...

"What was the word you just said?" He persisted.

"Gallions..." I whispered. Feeling as though I was giving away some great secret. In my head I had begun to know. But I wasn't ready to tell all of them yet.

But it's time now.

"Why did you say that?" He asked under his breath.

"It's what I was..."

"You were a Gallion?" He seemed incredulous. Clearly knowing the name of the greatest wolf royalty in recent times.

"One of the heirs." I nodded slightly.

But Rebekah's cutting voice drew my attention. "Don't move!"

She doesn't want me moving anything, not even my head, until she can ensure the tremors didn't shatter any bones.

I don't think it did. Everything ached but nothing felt broken. At least not that I could immediately notice.

"I-I'm sorry." I whispered to her. Not wanting to interfere in her work. Especially knowing how seriously she took it.

Healing is her craft.

"How many were there?" Vanquish's focus had returned to his brother.

Probably able to tell Racer can give him more coherent answers than I can just now.

"You don't know the story?" Racer asked him in surprise.

"Never paid much attention." Vanquish shot him an annoyed look. Telling him to get on with it and stop trying to build suspense.

Brothers to the core. I rolled my eyes slightly. No patience for each other.

Vanquish wanted to know now. He was in no mood for his brother mocking his lack of knowledge on this subject.

And Racer must've seen it on his face. He sobered some and got to the point. "The Gallions King got word that the NightHunters were going to try and overwhelm his power by overtaking him in great numbers. Their aim to slaughter him and all his heirs."

All of us. I thought inwardly.

Vanquish tilted his head. Not liking the sound of that any more than I did. His hands cradling my shoulders between his knees on the floor, gave me a reassuring squeeze.

In-case Racer's retelling of my story wounds me.

I couldn't even really tell if it did. I felt unemotional and exhausted from the tremors.

And the battle. And the dead woman's suffering... My eyes kept skittering back to the body which Hunter and her own brother were now quietly discussing.

Eventually they stood and Hunter put a reassuring hand on the younger man's shoulder. Lifting the girl's body and following the other man out the door.

To bury her.

To honor her. Good...

Racer continued the tale which now felt so familiar to me.

Too close to home. In more ways than one.