The Sons

"Supposedly my father was a descendant of the First Wolf, one of the sons of one of his son's, sons."

Vanquish whistled. Frowning in confusion he asked. "Do you think the rumors are true, that Fury is him?"

"That's what they say." I murmured. Shrugging. I tried to remember if I'd ever seen him or if father had ever mentioned him. But just thinking about it was making my head ache and my vision begin to blur enough that I could tell it was warning me that there would be another series of tremors, if I kept pushing at the barrier of my brain.

"But you've met the man, what do you think?"

"I think Fury unsettles me and he certainly feels different to be around." I admitted. Remembering how I always felt the need to skitter from his path.

As though he's more animal than the rest.

"Do you know about his sons?" Vanquish said. "The others?"

"Others?"

What others? I had no idea what he was talking about.

"Yes." Vanquish murmured.

"Ah, something you don't know." He sounded triumphant. "Those of his direct lineage, his true sons. Have been scattered over the land as guardians."

"Guardians of what?"

"They say of balance. Most have been left in woods or put in places of power to protect all. Man beast, and mage."

"Why would he care about both."

"It is said because Fury sees them as equals."

"No one sees them as equals. Humans who know of wolves, hunt us. Mages hunt wolves. Wolves hunt mages and humans. No one is equal." I argued.

"At least they don't see it that way. But it is rumored

that he does. And one day he will bring his sons to restore it."

"That sounds impossible."

"Depends on how many sons he has."

"How many?" I was awash with curiosity. Despite all my disbelief.

"I've heard whispers that there is a half-mage-"

"Like Magus?"

"Yes, but he was born of Fury and one of the strongest mages to ever live."

"Ooh." I was eager for him to tell me more.

"There's one to the North who lurks in poor villages, Chaos. A creature of his name."

"More?"

"Rage, Wrath, Huntsman, Turmoil, Vexation, and Ire. Those are just the ones I know of. There

could be hundreds."

"Hmm." I liked that thought. The idea that the original wolf could be building an army of his sons to overtake the land and bring balance. To end feuding packs, and bloodshed against species.

It sounds beautiful.

Impossible. But beautiful.

***

"We should get back." Vanquish rolled to his feet and offered me a hand.

We walked back to the house, hand in hand. And wearing only our skin. Much to the astonishment of Jonathan, Magus, Hawk and Mary. All four were still standing next to the house, listening to Racer who was standing just outside the front door. His fist rolled into a white-knuckled grip.

As soon as Vanquish reached him he swung and pelted his brother.

Making Vanquish's mouth immediately bleed.

Vanquish's eyes narrowed in warning, but it was clear he was unconcerned.

He expected it. I realized. Knowing him well enough to gauge that reaction.

There was thudding inside and in moments, Hunter came flying out with another fist.

Which Vanquish blocked and stepped aside. Sending Hunter reeling toward a tree.

He locked his feet and slid back a couple feet. Huffing in fury and ready to return.

"I'm fine. I'm fine!" I announced.

"You son-of-a-bitch." Hunter swore.

"You're never making us accomplices like that again!" Racer seethed.

"I don't know what either of you are talking about." Vanquish looked down his nose at Hunter who was obviously still considering returning in a vicious attack. "You'll both be just as bad as me by tomorrow night."

It made sense that Vanquish's reaction would be earlier and more volatile because his already high testosterone was increasing.

"It's okay." I put my hands out to soothe Hunter. "I'm alright."

His blue gaze flitted to me as if seeing me for the first time.

To my relief, he eased some. Straightening.

"Come here, Hunter." I beckoned.

He approached. Gaze on me until just before he reached me. He gave Vanquish a warning look.

"Pull that again, and I'll kill you myself. Or die trying."

Vanquish grunted. Not arguing.

Sensible.