Things to Fear

That thought scared me because I knew how clever our Alpha was and that he missed so little.

He seems to see everything...

And I knew all the things that could happen to Hunter for doing what I'd asked.

What I begged him to.

I couldn't imagine the Hayden cottage without Hunter's quick smile and booming laughter.

It'd never be the same if something happened to him... I felt my hands shake as I had a pang of conscience for putting him in such danger.

***

Hunter leaned sideways and checked on marks staining the trees to mark a path.

I heard a screech from above me and looked up. Ducking low behind a bush as Hunter flipped around to see it. Watching it with a frown.

Stunned to see the largest Hawk I'd ever witnessed flying low above me. Coasting below the tree canopy and seeming very intent on Hunter and I. His vibrant green eyes were visible even to me.

The bird landed in a tree a distance away and watched me keenly. But I felt creeped out by his intense study. Feeling spied on.

Why's the bird so attentive? I chided myself for being paranoid and told myself to calm down.

I continued my trek after Hunter. Careful to ensure I didn't so much as step on a crackling branch.

The Hawk flew tree to tree above us. Thankfully quieter than he'd been before. But seeming to trail just after me.

As I nearly caught up to Hunter, the Hawk flew so low over my head I thought his feet might hook my hair. I gave the animal a black look. Swatting at him.

But he was already gone. Landing in a tree ahead of me and looking from me to a spot a bit ahead.

He's trying to warn me off? Why?

As we stepped into an area where the trees grew thinner, I had to slap a hand over my mouth to stifle my gasp. My foot slid and I didn't quite make it into his next track as I was overcome with my excitement. Wanting to run behind him and push him aside to go in.

But a man crouched between Hunter and the deck, rolling a small rock thoughtfully between his fingers, brought me to a dead stop. Making me spin my back against a tree trunk.

Magus. What is he doing here?

***

I immediately wondered if Magus was somehow using the bird as a spy. If he is, I'm in big trouble. He's already gotten a good look at me.

Can Magus even do that? I'd heard tales that mages had a special connection with birds and could often command them.

The pack's only mage-wolf mix seemed to have more allowance to wander than the other wolves. Often to gather herbs and bits of shrubbery for different potions he made for the packs.

Usually used by Rebekah.

Our healer often relied on Magus' vials for her healing processes.

They're an amazing team. Though I'd never seen them work together. What each of them did for our pack was critical.

How many of Magus' poultices were used to heal damages after the last Mating Moon? I cringed at the thought. Certain the answer was 'countless'.

"Magus." I heard Hunter greet. I could hear the tension in his voice and hoped it was only obvious to me. "What are you doing out here?"

I peered around the tree to see the answer.

"I was looking for some Wen Fern and came across this." He gestured up toward the house. "I thought it was interesting. When do you suppose the last time it was inhabited was?"

"Better questions, is by who?" Hunter said with a grin. "Curious, isn't it?"

"It is indeed." Magus remarked. "I'd heard rumors of such a house belonging to the Gallions."

"Gallions!" Hunter expostulated. "Surely not!"

"What are you doing out here?" Magus asked after a thoughtful silence.

Oh, no. Hunter is a terrible liar.

***

"Draven sent me out to run a scout for NightHunters." Hunter said dismissively as he approached the deck.

Magus falling into step with him.

That was pretty smooth actually. I blew a relieved breath.

Draven often sends him out on such runs.

I wiped a bit of nervous sweat from my brow and pushed my hair back. Wrapping a bit of it around the bulk of it to make a smooth tail down my back.

Hopefully keeping it from snaring on trees and giving me away.

The stakes were higher now that I knew Magus could spot me out here as well. Or find out I had sent Hunter out to find this place.

What would Draven do then? I swallowed hard as I peered around the tree. Yearning to join them. Nothing good.

***

They walked in cautiously and I could see how anxious Hunter was, as he scanned every direction.

Watching for any threat.

He's nervous. I recognized. Knowing him well enough to sense the depth of his unease.

Stepping just inside and taking his time surveying every corner, he eventually made his way to the right. Toward some stairs which led to the upper level.

Magus on his heels. "Going to see what's up there?"

There was curiosity in his voice and the hint of something else...

Determination?

What is he doing here? I wondered again. Feeling somewhat nervous myself that he was so close to my home.

"I prefer not to be ambushed." Hunter said over his shoulder.

The implication clear.

I heard their feet brushing the wood as they moved upward. And the steps groaning under their weight. Rising until I was certain they'd reached the upper floor.

***

I couldn't resist creeping in to inspect the bottom level while they inspected the top one. I felt driven to go inside. To see what was there.

And to remember what I can.

I stepped through the doorway and was assailed with bright sunshine. But not light from now.

Light from years ago. And the image of my family as I'd last seen them circled around that table. Joking with each other as they had.

Making feel safe. Secure. And like nothing could ever change.

Killian grinning at me and Aviari walking over to welcome me to breakfast.

I was struck by Aviari's strikingly tall frame. He towered over me. His head well above the doorframe. His blonde hair a shock against his darkly tanned skin. Dancing blue eyes seemed always ready to laugh as he jested with Killian. The darker of the two.

My family...