Fighting Back

"Keep shooting, you idiots! Keep them back!" Screaming, shooting, and running. That's what Noah's life has become. A huge shit show, filled with short battles, long shifts and boring patrol missions. This battle, while being rather small, was the most action these zombies have seen all week. It was a quite small infected horde, just a few desperate flowers begging for love. They were put down, snuffing out their lust filled hysterics. The fight ended quickly, it being a very one sided battle. Two of them managed to slip away, but that was tomorrow's problem. It almost seemed... Too easy. "Aw man, and I was just starting to have fun..." Noah grumbled to himself, watching the last plant be burned on the funeral pyre. His boss, General Mastiff, said it was to prevent the infected from smelling the death pheromones from their fallen sisters, but as he watched him stand there, gazing at the fire with a grim smile, Noah had a sneaking suspicion that the General just liked seeing them burn. Not that he could blame him, it was satisfying to watch the ash float up into the sky..

Putting down his Helmet, Noah wiped the ash and soot from his jersey, the only thing reminding him of the good old days. He was never a good All Star, sure he was bigger than most of his peers, but he never really liked the loud cannons they used. Fire was much more effective, considering his opponents were quite literally living kindling. He made use of a modified flamethrower, made from the scraps of a Cricket Blaster he found, a personal project. Past aside, Noah headed into the bunker, walking to the Mess Hall to get some grub. Entering, Noah took the seat closest to the space heater, trying to keep warm in the drafty tunnels of the base. He got his dinner, looking at his tray with a tinge of disappointment. It was Brain Mash, again. Noah lost count how many times he's eaten this slop, and it didn't taste any better warmed up. Shrugging his disappointment off, he sits back down, only to sigh in annoyance. A small, jumpy, ginger annoyance. "Hi Noah! How was the patrol?!" It was Shelly, the Space Cadet who latched on to Noah the second she saw him, making sure to never leave his side. "Just as boring as usual, Shel."  Shelly put her head under Noah's arm, hugging his chest tightly. "I'm so glad! I was working in the laboratory, and I heard gunshots, and I got so worried for you!! You need to look after yourself better, Firebug." Gently pulling her off,  Noah pushed his plate away, much to the delight of his table mates, who eagerly devoured his leftovers.  "I think I'm gonna hit the hay early tonight..." Noah trudged to his room, entering and taking his heavy boots off and putting his black helmet on his hat rack.

As Noah trudged back to his bunker, Shelly let out a loud sigh. She really did care about him, but he seemed like he was giving up. He's been much more reserved, and they don't hang out as much as they did before. As she pondered, a dark green blur caught her eye. One of the base's repair Imps? No, they weren't that green. And all of the imps were transferred to Z-Corp before the outbreak. Shelly snuck to the door the mysterious thing disappeared under, fumbling with her keys. Stepping inside, Shelly locked the door behind her and peered around the dark room. The room reeked of mildew and seaweed. It was almost pitch black, save for something glowing... pink? "What the..." Shelly slowly approached the light, rounding the corner to see a wet, writhing mass of vines and bulbs. The bulbs burst open, and the massive telltale pink flowers of the Haze erupted from the thorny vines. The vines shot out at Shelly, wrapping around her and stabbing into her small frame. All that was heard was a muffled, agonizing shriek..

After the mission review, Noah finally arrived to his bunk, a whole hour later. Taking off his pads, Noah fell on his bed, stretching. "My shoulders are still a bit sore from building that barricade yesterday..." Noah mumbles to himself. "Aw, that sucks.. Wanna cuddle?" Noah nearly jumped out of his skin, scrambling away from the small zombie. "ARE YOU SERIOUS SHELLY?! How did you get in here?! And where were you during the mission review?" Shelly giggled, taking off her space uniform to reveal her fuzzy blue pajamas, and her somewhat curvy body. "Not important! Now answer the question! And don't lie either, I know you're cold too.." Noah had yet to notice the multiple holes and puncture marks in her suit, or the creeping strands of plant matter woven into Shelly's hair. Noah looked at his hands, they were trembling in the cold air. "Well, it wouldn't kill me." Shelly squealed in delight, laying on Noah's chest and wrapping her arms around him. "You smell so warm~!"  She giggled, laying her head on his chest and listening to his breathing. Noah took am minute to think about it. "That doesn't even make sen-." He was promptly shushed by Shelly, who kissed him on the forehead. "Shh, no arguing~.."  The two sat in silence for a bit, just enjoying each other's company. "Shel?" The Space Cadet's eyes met Noah's. "Yes?" "Do you think we're gonna make it out?" Shelly went quiet, thinking about his question. "I'll be honest, no.. But I'm sure on one thing. We will always be together.." Noah found her comment odd, but still optimistic, so he shrugged it off. Shelly's warmth was having an effect on Noah, his eyelids growing heavy and his breathing relaxed. But just as he was about to fall asleep, the emergency bell rang sharply.