Ch.10

People flood the church all giving respects to a teenager that they barely know. Poetic in a way, how funerals work. Everyone all pretend to be heartbroken till lunch then they are fine again. Tony stood with an arm wrapped around his daughters' shoulders as the guest gave their condolences. Y/n didn't look at any of them, she wasn't saying anything. That was okay Tony thanked them for her, and tried to reassure her as best as he could.

"How are you doing pip?" He whispered rubbing her arm reassuringly, "I've been better. What's going to happen?" Tony smiled at the people that just passed and continued. "Well, you are going to go in, in a few minutes and-" Tony takes a breath trying to figure out quit how to put this. "And?" She pressed looking up at him for the first time since they got there. "You're going to say goodbye."

"Oh," she said looking into the church, seeing the casket sitting on a platform. flowers surround it all. lilacs, "Mom would like this." She says absentmindedly "I think so too hun. We should head inside." They walk in and Y/n glues herself to Tony's side. Tony wasn't proud of it, but he felt a slight feeling of pride wash over him. Pride at the fact that she can seek comfort in him, that she is beginning to trust him. "I don't think I can do this." She mumbled hoping it was loud enough for him to hear.

Tony stops before the steps looking down at his daughter lovingly. "Do you want me to go with you." She nods her head, and he puts a hand behind her back and guides her up the stairs. Everyone watches in pity for the young girl. Which made her skin go aflame in embarrassment. She gets to the coffin and looks in and there she is. Her mother pristine. She was so pristine in fact that she didn't really look like her mom. It was a shell of her. Y/n stomach turned, and her face got pale.

She didn't cry, she didn't cry because it felt like she wasn't saying goodbye to her mother. It felt like she was saying bye to an off-brand version of her. It sounds terrible but that is what it was like. "Bye mama, I love you." She thought she would have more to say, she thought that she would have a laundry list of things to say. However, as she stares down into her mother's casket, all she can say in that she loves her, and "I'm happy you're not hurting anymore."

She turns back to Tony he was crying she ran into his arms holding him so tightly. No matter how much she tries to deny it she does need Tony, and Tony needs her. "Was that, okay?" She asks looking up at him forgetting the crowd of people watching. "Yes, pipsqueak that was perfect. Good job I'm very proud of you." He said kissing her head and bringing them both up. "I feel like I'm going to be sick." She mumbles, he examines her face, and she even more pale. "Yeah, okay we can go get some fresh air."

They walk back down the aisle and Tony mumbles "Jarvis text miss Potts that we will be outside." Jarvis does and as he is told, and they walked out holding each other tightly. They sat on the outside steps Y/n had her head in her hands, and Tony held her silently. "It's sunny." She points out as if that is the marvel of the world. "What?"

"It's sunny, in movies it's never sunny. It's always raining." Tony nods chuckling slightly, "That's what you're focusing on?" She giggles smiling, this is the first time in weeks that he has seen her smile. It was as if a boulder was lifted off his chest. "I'm just saying, it should be raining. Is it bad that I walked out of my own mothers funereal?" Tony shakes his head 'no' still smiling down at his daughter. "Is it bad that I am laughing at my mom's funeral?"

"A bit." His honest answer catches her so off guard that she laughed so hard she had to cover her mouth. They sat in silence again, Tony marveling at his girl and Y/n gazing at the view of a cemetery. After a few seconds Y/n breaks the silence with "the lilacs were a good touch."

"Thanks Pepper wanted to get lilies, which I thought was going to be boring." She nods "I don't think I can watch her get buried." She said simply in a sigh. "That's ok, I couldn't watch my mom get buried. Must run in the family." Y/n head perks up in confusion, "Wait your mom died?" She asks quietly "Yeah, my dad too both killed."

"I'm sorry."

"don't be it gets easier, but it won't go away ya know." Y/n nods and leans her head on his shoulder. Both looking at the cemetery, Tonys life flashes before his eyes. His memories with Katherine, his memories with Pepper, now he has a daughter. "Hey, let's get out of here." Y/n looks apprehensive, but he just continued his idea. "We could get burgers, and ice cream."

You sure that's a good idea?"

"No, but your mother was a lover of life. So, let's stop mourning her death and start celebrating her life." Y/n brightens up at the idea and they both go silently. They shot Pepper a quick text and they were off. They were in the car singing to ACDC full blast. They pull into a diner that was closer by and they ate together. It wasn't a sad day, for the first time in weeks Y/n had a good day. She felt like this was a true tribute to her mother. Loving a simple moment in a life full of big moments.

"I think I want you to paint me some pictures for the house. That is if you're up for it." Tony said out of the blue, "really?"

"Yeah, you were right my art is weird. Paint me something pretty kiddo, and if you wanted to throw a Iron Man in there I wouldn't be opposed."