Ch.19

Steve got out of his truck in a daze too stunned to see his old, dead friend leaving the shield in the car. "Bucky?" Steve had hot tears pricked at the corners of his eyes, and a stab in his heart. His friend aimed his pistol at Steves head wordlessly. Steve shook his head bringing his hands up, "buddy, it's me. I don't know what's going on, but we'll fix this. Together." 

"пражанка (the girl)" He growled tilting his head at the captain, "где(where?)" Steve breath hitched and his brows furrowed, stepping back into toward the truck. Silently wishing Natasha was here, she was the Russian speaker. Steve could not speak a word of it, he tried, it's just that he never could all the way pick it up. French was much more his speed. 

"пражанка (the girl!)" When He didn't answer, the Winter Soldiered opened fired on the captain. reaching into the truck he quickly grabs his shield and throws it at the soldier's chest. Only for him to catch it. "That's a first." Steve mumbled grimly, watching agape at his once best friend. The Soldier throws the shield at Steve and pushes him into the truck, making roll down into a ditch. 

Steve laid on the ground conflicted, he knew he should fight him. He hurt Y/n, but it's Bucky. The Winter Soldier stood over Steve his gun pointed at his head and he made no reason to fight. They looked into each other's eyes, and something clicked for the soldier. Something familiar. A flash of memory appeared in the Winter soldier's mind. "You know sometimes I think you like getting punched." He chuckled reaching out his hand for a skinny Steve. It was short, but it was real. He knew it was. He knew it wasn't some dream. Not something his mind created; he knew this guy. Somehow. He knew him. The winter Soldier kneeled down beside the confused captain, and asked softly, "Ты кто (who are you?)" 

"I'm sorry I don't speak Russian." Steve mumbled, slowly reaching for the gun, "Although I would appreciate if you would point the gun away." The soldiers continued to stare at the man for a few more seconds and Steve took note on how much his eyes has changed. From wonder, to almost unrecognizable. Like he has seen a thousand terrible things, and the soldier nods lowering his gun. "Who are you?" He asked gruffly, the question hurt Steve, but somewhat relieved him deep down. Knowing Bucky would never do that to him. 

"I'm Steve Rogers. I need to know what you want with Y/n Stark." His name rang in the Hydra agent's head, it was so familiar. Steve Rogers. Steve Rogers. "I know you." The soldier said to himself, and Steve nodded, sitting on his elbows. "Were best friends. I thought, I thought you were gone. Bucky what happened." His head snapped at the mention of his name, a name that was buried and gone. "Bucky?" He is Bucky Barnes. He was taken. He was brainwashed. He killed people. He is Bucky Barnes, and he is going to get brainwashed right back to where he was. He knew this. Steve held his arm, "Bucky? What is going on?" 

"There is so much you don't know. That kid, that kid, is going to be everything." 

"What do you mean?" 

"I was sent to find her and take her back. So, we can have her and the reactor. The problem you moved her quicker than we thought you would. Steve that kid, they're going to turn her into a monster." 

"Bucky what are they going to do to her!?" 

"I don't know, but you got to go. They will be here soon. No sense both of us being taken." 

"No, you're coming with me." 

"Steve -" 

"No, I lost you once I will not lose you again."