11. A Nefarious Goat Sells Tanks

TAKE 3700 WORDS WOOOO

      "Why not?!"

"No! I said you're off for the week!"

At the asscrack of dawn I stood at the backdoor of Chicken Breast and defiantly stared at Xianniang. She did not give in easily— her arms were crossed and she fully engaged in the staring contest.

"You know there's too many customers for one person to handle," I argued, "Even if the numbers have dropped!"

Xianniang clicked her tongue, looking back into the kitchen. She seemed to weigh the odds until she gave in, ruffling her hair. "Fine. You have a point."

I sighed in relief, knowing how much it sucked to handle the work alone. Plus, I owe her. "You need to look into hiring more people, boss."

She groaned, walking into the kitchen and opening the fridge. "I know, I know. It's just that most of the people I've hired thought that this place was free real estate or something. You're the only one that actually worked— and Watson liked."

"Watson hates me," I said, eye twitching in a look of terror. "And all the past hires sucked because you were only hiring NRC students."

"Yeah yeah, whatever." She tossed an apron over to me. "I'll keep an eye out for some workers. Oh, and if any of your friends are looking for a job, you send them to me okay? I trust your judgement, at least."

"Okay," I said, wrapping the apron behind my back. "Will I be in the kitchen?"

"It's a free for all."

"Great."

Once the clock hit opening time, I headed out of the kitchen to unlock the front doors. Fortunately the lines have shrunk(definitely not due to Watson's reputation), and when I opened the doors people visibly flinched as Watson flew into the building from the outside and over all their heads. He landed on his perch next to the cashier, and began preening. I think there was blood on his break.

"Oh hey, the person from Neige's post is back!"

"Dude, the poutine was so good..."

"Is that the person in Neige's post?"

"Crap I think the bird just looked at me—"

"Please get in a line," I said loudly, wondering why I haven't hexed the muppet master yet.

Thankfully the crowds were less boisterous and did as they were told. I quickly went behind the counter, and took the first order.