A Daydream Away

Jack ended up buying me some cheesecake and driving me home. He just knows me so well and is always willing to help me. I miss him like crazy; I think of him every morning as I wake up and every night before I fall asleep. He's the one and I know it, I've always known it to some degree. If Zach's proposal wasn't tomorrow then I would tell Jack how I feel, but I don't wanna steal anyone's thunder. But soon I'm gonna tell Jack that I love him and I want to be with him... just not as soon as I would want to.
As he pulled into the parking lot of my apartment, a frown unknowingly struck my face. "Is the cheesecake not good? We can go get some from a different place. I knew I should've gone to the Cheesecake Factory!" Jack said, and a chuckle escaped my lips.

"No, the cheesecake is good." I stated and his expression softened.

"Okay... is this about Andy? Because you did the right thing. He's gonna receive the proper care he needs there." He asked and I shook my head. He placed his hand over mine in my lap. "So what's wrong?"

"It's just been a long day, that's all."

"Okay, that's very fair. Would you like me to walk you upstairs?" He asked and I shook my head.

"I think I need to be alone tonight and if I let you walk me upstairs I might not let you leave." I stated and a surprise expression spread onto his face. "You can't be that shocked. For years I've looked to you for comfort. Tonight I need to find that comfort within myself."

Jack leaned in and kissed my forehead, "Try to get some rest Summer. I'll pick you up tomorrow." I nodded and gave him a small smile.

And now I'm sitting in my living room with a glass of white wine in hand, trying to make sense of my life. One of my best friends is getting engaged and the other is in rehab.

I had been back together with Jack for three weeks...and still hadn't told him that I was pregnant. We were taking things slow and I guess I was scared and unsure how to drop the news to him. How does someone tell their high school boyfriend that their whole life is about to change? Elena was down for the week because Prom was tomorrow evening, and we were out shopping last minute for dresses. Jack didn't give me many specifications on his suit, he only told me that he would be wearing a baby blue tie. So I picked out a baby blue silk maxi slip dress. I stared at my stomach in the mirror, thinking about how big it would be in only a few months.

"What do you think of this one?" Elena asked and I turned right around. She was wearing a fit and flare olive green strapless dress covered in black floral lace. The dress looked stunning on her. "You don't have to go with the baby blue dress just to match with Jack."

"Mmhmm, and you're not matching with Zack?" I crossed my arms.

"I mean he did invite me all the way out here..." she smiled and we laughed. "How are you two by the way? You got back with him very quickly."

"We're good... I just have some things to talk to him about but I'm not sure how to tell him." I said and she sighed.

"He's gonna find out sooner or later Summer, you should just tell him. If he loves you then he'll stick around. Besides it's not like it happened on purpose." How does she know? Did Beck tell her? Is it that obvious? I didn't think I was even showing yet. "Just tell him about Alex, you guys will get past this." I wave of relief flushed over my body.

"Yeah, you're right." A wave of relief rushed over me.

Later in the evening Zach picked Elena up for a date and I found myself stressing again over the talk I have to have with Jack. And then I started to feel pain... worse pain than your typical cramps. I looked down and found blood spreading on my sheets. Horror filled my eyes and I screamed for Beck.

Beck ended up taking me to the emergency room and a young doctor broke the news; I had a miscarriage.

A knock on the door startled me, I came back to reality and opened the door. "I thought you went home." I stated.

Jack stood nervously in my doorway, "I was going to... but I kept thinking about the last time I saw that look on your face and it didn't feel right to leave."

"You should come in before my neighbors complain."

"Right." Jack rushed in and I shut the door behind him. He grabbed a water bottle from the fridge and joined me on the couch.

"I am okay, you really didn't need to come up here."

"I've been thinking about tomorrow and it's been making me regret a lot of things. Knowing that Zach has planned a personal and amazing proposal for Elena... you deserved that too and I'm sorry that I didn't give you that. I'm sorry for a lot that I didn't give you, because you were it for me."

"That first year when we moved in together, I feel like I was still under a fog of grief and I wasn't present for a lot of those times. But all those moments after were some of the best memories of my life, and I don't regret a single moment, not even the proposal."

"I miss our first apartment." He said and I chuckled.

"I certainly do not! We were living in a very expensive shoebox and eating ramen every night." I smiled.

"And I would do anything to have those days back with you."

I placed my hand over his. "If we have a chance of having that again, it's gonna take time."

"I've got time." He smiled.

"I'm not gonna sleep with you." I laughed. "You're welcome to stay the night but just as my friend tonight."

"I mean, I'll never say no to sleeping with you but that's not what I was thinking." I gave him a look. "Well, that's not all I was thinking. You need a friend tonight, I can be a friend."