This Reckless Dream

"The first day of summer of 2004 and I'm going camping with all the people I love." Jack stated. I rested my head on his shoulder, knowing just how long this journey was going to be.

"You won't be saying that when we get to the lake house." Alex said.

"Also you don't even know me, Jack." Elena added. I was so happy when her mother let her come along.

"You're right, I don't. However, you're my girl's best friend, and that's more than enough." Jack said, which made me smile. He always manages to do that, make me smile I mean. Maybe that's why I'm so crazy about him, he makes everything in this negative world, positive.

"I'm sorry to hear about you and Jada, Zack." I said.

"Don't be, I'm just thankful someone told me before I stumbled upon it myself." Zack said.

"No problem."  Rian said.

"I know what you mean, went through the same thing this past spring." Elena added.

"Maybe this summer you'll both find people that deserve you." I said.

The car ride was about two hours, but we finally got to Rian's cabin. Elena and I immediately snatched the key and ran into the cabin to the two designated bathrooms. We both got big cherry slurpies while the guys were getting gas. Afterwards we helped bring in our belongings.

"Okay so there are two bedrooms upstairs and one bedroom downstairs; however, the couch in the living room is a pullout. And I'm guessing Jack and Summer will be sharing a room..." Rian said and Jack nodded. "Okay so you two can have the one in the basement. The two bedrooms upstairs have queen sized beds so how do we want to do this?"

"I don't mind sharing a bed with one of you boys." Elena stated, as I knew she eventually would. "Except Alex."

"Then we'll be roommates." Zack insisted, which I'm sure Elena was more than excited about it.

"Alex you can have the other bed, I like to fall asleep with the TV on anyways." Rian stated.

"Cool, so swimming in ten?" Jack asked and we all agreed.

"Jack, would you mind not speaking with your mouth full?" I asked.

"Sorry Alex, but it's not like this part is important. This was the summer that Summer agreed to go to school in Towson." Jack stated.

"Then at what point do you think she fell out of love with you and in love with me?" I asked and I was taken back by his response.

"Alex, when are you gonna get it through your head? That's not even how it happened! I talked to her last week and she told me the absolute truth, which is what I was gonna tell you today, but I wanted to ease into it. But no more! She made a mistake sleeping with you, that is what she told me. She said she didn't mean to get your hopes up and that she wants me back! Not you, me! I don't know what you've been fabricating in your head for years, but it's time for this illusion to end!"

"I thought her and Andy were..."

"They've been hanging out because they're friends, or did you forget that too?"

"Can you just continue?" I asked.

"I'm skipping a few pages." He said and I sighed, but he continued.

"Second week of camping and I'm sick." I groaned.

Jack chuckled, "You'll be okay, Zack will entertain you."