The Next Best Thing

"So let me get this straight, you cheated on Summer with Mel, which caused a riff to form between you two." I stated and Jack shook his head.

"It's not that simple." He stated.

"Then explain it." I demanded. My blood began to boil at the very thought of my best friend hurting her, the woman I love.

"Shall we continue?" He asked and I nodded.

It was the next morning and I awoke alone in my bed. I couldn't understand Jack's behaviour at first but now it's become evident that he's over me. I've imagined the thought many times, just how much it would hurt, but I never imagined this amount of pain. This is the loneliest I've ever felt, and it's not as though I could express my concerns or I would really become alone. I got up and wrapped myself in my pink, silk robe. I released my hair from its ponytail and headed upstairs. Mornings were quiet here, mostly because of hangovers, but especially since most of the guys weren't awake before noon. Zack and Alex sat at the kitchen table, Rian was still asleep on the bed, the shower was running upstairs so that's where Elena was, and Jack was out on the porch talking on his phone. I grabbed myself a glass of orange juice and sat at the kitchen table, I sighed as I watched Jack smile as he spoke.

"So confronting him didn't really work." Zack said and I nodded.

"I think it made things worse." I said before taking a sip.

"Mel's probably jealous and trying to cause a strain on your relationship, don't let her get to you." Alex advised.

"I kinda wish I didn't come on this trip." I stated.

"And if you hadn't, this would still be happening and you wouldn't be able to stop it." Alex said and placed his hand over mine.

"True and I wouldn't have met Elena." Zack said.

"Have you guys kinda noticed how much she hates me? I don't get it, I'm lovable." Alex said making a chuckle escape my lips. "There's that smile. I'm gonna go get him off of his phone."

Alex got up and left the cabin. I watched as he stole Jack's phone and started running away. "So are you and my best friend dating now?" I asked Zack.

"It'd be kinda weird to date myself." Zack said and I fake laughed. "We're not dating, we're just having a little summer fun."

"As long as you're both happy. It's too bad she can't stay with us all summer."

"It is, but we'll have fun with or without her. When we get back to Towson, the band has a gig."

I got up and hugged him. "I'm so happy for you guys! Wait, why didn't Jack tell me?" I asked.

"He wanted to play it off as it was no big deal." I let go of him.

"Well it is a big deal."

Alex ran inside and locked the door behind him while Jack pounded on the door. "Here's his phone." Alex said and handed it to me.

The call was still going so I talked into the phone. "Hey Mel." I said.

"Oh hey Summer, how's it going?" She asked.

"Pretty bad, haven't gotten to spend time with my boyfriend because he's been on his phone the whole time. So goodbye Mel." I said and hung up. I nodded at Alex and he opened the door.

"Summer, it's not what you think..." Jack said. I placed his phone down and headed back downstairs. He followed closely behind. I put on a pair of shorts and my black baseball Tshirt. I started throwing my stuff back into my suitcase. "What are you doing?"