Mrs. Potato Head 4

Mrs. Potato Head by Melanie Martinez

We sat at the dining table in the garden, my father, my mother and I, while listening to soft singing of the birds. The chair opposite of me was empty. Not just empty because somebody was missing, but because it showed that our family was one member less. My sister was still part of our family, however not in this house, not at the table opposite of me, not in her room with light blue walls which now seemed darker than before, not even under her favorite tree, where she used to read on her own.

-

Donna sat under her favorite tree, sipping on the ice coffee while reading. Admiring the view from the distance, multiple doubts crossed my mind if I should approach her or not, simply not wanting to distract her. Hesitantly, I made my way towards my older sister, playing with my fingers.

"Donna?" I announced my presence, softly calling her out.

Her soft eyes moved from the pages of the book, landing on my anxious figure. "You okay?"

"Can we talk?" I mumbled.

"Of course, sit down." My older sister motioned towards the spot beside her, closing her book and giving me her full attention. With a simple nod, my 13-year-old self-took a seat from beside the girl, not knowing where to start.

"What is bothering you, Vicky?" Her blue eyes scanned my face.

"I haven't eaten in a few days." My shaking voice came out as a whisper, yet she heard each word.

"May I ask you why?"

"I don't-, it's complicated," at this point I was fighting back the tears. How should I tell her? "I don't want you to be mad at me."

"Vicky, I am all ears, tell me," she replied, taking my hand in her warm one, moving her thumb up and down to comfort me.

"I don't like my body, my weight, everything, so I thought I would stop eating, I don't know." Tears streamed down my rosy cheeks, falling on my white summer dress.

Donna stayed silent for a moment, probably searching for any words to respond. Taking a deep sigh, the older sister leaned forward, hugging me. No words said, just us trapped in a hug, which I needed and silence which said more than a hundred words.

"Look at me," she told me, pulling away. "You will get through this, we will get through this. You don't have to be afraid. I am glad you told me."

"Thank you," I nodded, whipping my cheeks with the back of my hand. "Still, I detest my body."

"I understand, yet you haven't just discovered it. Time will come and you will look back and think how silly it all was. It hurts to stand every day in front of the mirror and see yourself in the worst way. However, you are focused only on the bad. How about the good?"

"What good," I pointed to my head, "can be here?"

"Many things. Soon enough you'll figure it out, because only you can do it." Her soft voice rang in my ears as her eyes reminded me that she wasn't lying.

That was the first time I truly spoke to her about my feelings. The moment she held my hand, I knew I could trust her. Now, the person I trust, is not here.

-

Our breakfast continued in silence as I barely touched my food, only sipping on my coffee. Vanessa walked up to us, handing my father the letter and leaving back into the house. The envelope was painted in light blue color, having a small flower hanging on it.