Cardigan 9

Cardigan by Taylor Swift

"This is unfair," the boy on the sofa across from me muttered, sliding his hands down his face.

"Isaiah stop crying like a baby, you are losing to a girl," John stood behind the sofa, where Isaiah sat, watching his friend play against me.

"What the hell does that mean," I asked.

"Nonsense, she said she didn't play," Isaiah looked up, admiring the board on the coffee table in front of him.

"This is what I call beauty with brains," Lillian announced from beside me, sipping on her coffee, watching boys go mad.

Isaiah loved chess and he asked me if I could practice with him for the next competition in a few weeks, so I agreed since I haven't played chess for some time now. A few times I visited chess competitions, watching Isaiah play, he was brilliant at it.

Soon John, Lillian and Margaret with Antoni joined us as well, watching the whole game, yet not making comments, so Isaiah could play in peace. However, the boy seemed to go mad after eight minutes of the game, staring at the board and not exactly knowing what would come next.

"Don't give up," I muttered to my friend, seeing that he was on edge.

"Bloody hell, no matter where I go, I lost," he shook his head in disappointment.

"False," I gave him a look. "Look closely."

Helping him, I hoped that he would see what his eyes were missing. The blond boy narrowed his eyes to look closer at the board, yet again not finding anything.

"I give up," he shook his head, stretching his hand for me to shake, which I did.

"Mate, even I saw it," John put his hands on the blond's shoulders, shaking them slightly.

"Next time concentrate," I informed my friend. "What has gotten into you? You never miss such a thing."

"No idea," he avoided my eyes.

"He's got his mind elsewhere," John let a laugh escape his lips, staring at his blond friend.

"Shut up, John," Isaiah replied. "Sit down and play with her yourself. She is the bloody devil." He whispered the last part, making his friend laugh out loud.

"For sure," John walked over to sit across from me, putting the chess pieces into their start positions, smirking up at me. "You have no chance in winning, Vic," the brunet winked at me, making me giggle.

"We'll see," I nodded, accepting the challenge.

I took the white and black piece in my palms, mixing them from behind my back and stretching my arms in front of me for him to pick left or right. Choosing the right, John got the black piece, leaving me with white. And the game started.

Ten minutes had gone by, as I tried to figure out the best way to win, fully concentrating on the board. I must admit, John didn't want to lose at all and barely missed my tricks, always being prepared for the next move. Yet the game was slowly coming to an end.

"Bloody hell, you got my rock," John whined, biting his nails out of stress. My face expression was relaxed, not giving him any reaction. Yet again I was winning.

"I can see it from here, John. She's got you," Margaret informed the boy with a confused expression on his face.

Realizing there is no way of winning, the brunet stretched his hand for me to shake it, admitting his loss.

"You're good," he nodded.

"Thank you," I replied.

"Mate, we must admit that lady's in this room are too smart for us," John patted Isaiah's shoulder, taking a glass with water.