The Great War 14

The Great War by Taylor Swift

Our kitchen looked as if a bomb was dropped here moments before. Lillian, Margaret and I were responsible for dinner today. Cutting tomatoes, I stood at the kitchen island. Lillian was almost done with pasta, as Margaret helped me cut vegetables.

I haven't told the girls about the shared kiss between me and Calvin two nights before and the one we shared under the stars, simply because there was never a right moment for it. Promising myself that I would tell them, I intended to do it tonight, after dinner. The boys held their mouths shut, they respected my decisions and knew that it wasn't their place to tell the rest of the group.

Since I woke up I have felt awful. To be honest I haven't eaten yesterday, the same as the whole day today. The hunger was never there, so I unconsciously forgot to eat.

"Like I've never been on a horse before and probably looked silly," Margaret was talking about her date with Antoni, the day we were at Isaiah's game and poetry event.

"Nothing to worry about," Lillian replied. "You should have seen my brother when he first jumped on a horse. Pretty sure he shit himself after it sprinted." We all laughed in unison at her comment.

"I am happy for you Mar," I smiled at my friend.

"Thank you," she replied. "You know, he even watched Gilmore Girls with me."

"Huge sacrifice," Lillian muttered.

"Stop, don't move," I announced suddenly, making the girl stop cutting vegetables, looking up at me with wide eyes.

"What?" She asked.

"You fell for him, dear," I nodded, seeing the signs written all over her face.

"Dull," she muttered, relaxing slightly.

"She has," Lillian smirked at our friend.

"Don't bite my arm off," she denied.

"First sign, denial," I pointed out.

"Whatever," the brunette rolled her eyes, smirking back.

"Are you done with the salad?" Lillian asked, taking a big plate with pasta in her hands, ready to walk outside to where the boys sat.

Nodding our heads, I put the knife down, cleaning my hands with a tissue, taking the plate with the salad as well, as Margaret took a bottle with apple juice. Girls walked ahead of me, suddenly I felt lightheaded. A breath was caught in my throat as I accidentally let the plate slide from my grip. Coming in contact with the floor, the glass shattered, hitting my bare feet. The glass around me came in contact with my skin, as I could feel a stinging pain. Both girls instantly turned their heads in my direction, just as I was about to fall.

My body collided with the floor, still conscious, yet with closed eyes due to the blur vision and the ringing in my ears. I heard loud panicked voices around me. Somebody's hands took a hold of me, quickly pulling my weak figure away from the shattered glass. Everything did hurt. And after that, I let the darkness consume me.

-

Slowly my eyes fluttered open, adjusting to the light from the nightstand. Soft blanket was under my body, meaning I was in my room, on the bed. Somehow I didn't remember what happened, the only thing I knew was that I lost my consciousness.

Shifting my gaze from the ceiling, I found Calving sitting on the chair beside my bed, holding his face in his palms, leaning forward. Feeling my eyes on the young man, he instantly looked up. A sight of relief washed over him, gazing at me.