Out of my League 10

Out of My League by Fitz and The Trantrums

Soft music played in the background, glasses with champagne clicked together as everybody in the room talked. Donna and I stood a little further from our parents so that we could talk without interrupting them.

"Does she not have other hobbies?" My sister announced to me, staring at my ex best friend from across the room. My eyes found Josephine who looked directly at me and my sister.

"Who cares?" I shrugged, turning away from the girl and back to scanning the room. My blue eyes landed on a young man who I didn't recognize. "Who is this?" I nodded towards the man.

"I have no idea," Donna shrugged. "He looks handsome, though."

"Certainly," I agreed. "Go talk to him."

"What? No," my sister's eyes went wide.

"If you won't then I shall talk to him," I joked, starting to walk in his direction as a hand caught my arm, stopping me in my truck.

"Fine, I'll go," Donna agreed, "you own me after that."

"Sure," I chuckled, as my sister awkwardly made her way towards the blond young man.

From a distance I admired them both, as the two were now in the deep conversation. For a long time, I saw a smile on her face. Whatever they talked about, she liked that. I wonder if they will end up together after that, because the guy seems to fancy my sister already. He whispered something to Donna, my sister nodded and walked up to me.

"Victoria, this is Jasper Kline," Donna introduced us. "Jasper, this is my younger sister, Victoria."

"Pleasure to meet you Victoria," the young man shook my hand.

"Likewise," I nodded. "You are a new face here."

"Indeed, my father had some business with the Florence family. I decided to accompany him," he answered, shifting his gaze to my sister, "seems like it was the right decision."

"Vic, can I speak to you for a second?" Donna asked, linking our arms together. "Be right back," she replied to the male.

Nodding my head was enough for her to start to walk in another direction, further away from him and now I wonder if it is going to be good or bad.

"Donna, what is going on?" I asked her after we walked into the bathroom.

"I need you to cover for me, please," the blonde pleaded. "We are going to go out tonight and later he will drive me home."

I was stunned. How is she going to leave our mothers sight? Of course I would cover her, so she could have some fun, yet isn't it going too fast?

"I will," I agreed. "Are you sure it is a good idea to sneak out with a guy you just met?"

"Don't worry, he just asked if I would fancy a dinner somewhere else," she shrugged, not thinking much about danger.

"Alright," I sighed. "Just be careful."

"Always am," my sister smiled, giving me a quick hug.

And this is how it all started.

My sister sneaked out almost each evening, so she could meet up with Jasper. They would go on dates and even visit places further away from Birmingham. Why were they sneaking out? Because my mother warned Donna that school and college first, relationships after. Of course she didn't listen and fell in love. I was genuinely happy for her. However, this ended badly. Her and our mother got into a big fight about Jasper. The older woman hasn't been wanting to meet him, because she thought he was ruining her daughter's future. It wasn't true, he made her happy, he made her feel alive.