Chapter One

Adam Munro felt as if he had been around the world in the past few days. His body was exhausted and tired, his heart was broken and his world seemed to be falling apart. He dragged his suitcase down the bridge toward the huge terminal at Logan International Airport, his heart still hurting from the vision of his daughter walking away from him.

      He couldn't believe she had chosen to believe Efe. That obnoxious, long haired pretty boy that was obviously used to getting his way. He thought he had raised Carolina better than that, but the absence of her mother the past eleven years was something that he hadn't expected.

     He hailed a taxi, threw his bag in the back and crawled in. The trip from the airport to Hull would take about an hour, then he would be home. He wanted so badly to call her, plead and beg with her to catch the next flight back to the States. But he knew how head strong she was....

      The ride home gave him plenty of time to think....If Maggie hadn't died eleven years ago, leaving him and Carolina on their own, would it had been different. He closed his eyes, remembering back to that day...the day his world fell apart. He promised her.....he promised her as tears streamed down his face, that he would take care of Carrie... 

      All he had now was hope...hope that she would come to her senses and and take the next plane out of Malaga Spain...and come home. 

      Efe held on tightly to Carolina as they huddled together on that pile of rocks that lined the shoreline. " Hey Carolina, he'll come around. Just give him some time. He's not going to let you go." Efe whispered softly in her ear. 

      Carolina tried to muffle her tears, " Efe, you don't know my dad. This will be pretty final for him. But I don't care, I couldn't leave you, I didn't want to leave you." She spurted out between sniffles. She clung to him as tightly as she could, begging for her heart to stop breaking.

      They had sat there for hours, with each of them trying to come to terms with what had happened.. Efe still couldn't believe how in a matter of a few short moments, Paola had managed to destroy his life. 

      Her words still echoed in his head....parents, how could he, they, be parents. He didn't have any feeling of love for Paola, hell...right now he didn't even like her. His mind fuming with thoughts of how to get rid of her.

      They sat there in silence, both not wanting to talk about the obvious. This spot here on the rocks had always been his place, a place where he could figure things out, make things right. But this problem wasn't just about him.

      " My god, I love the way the moon dances out across the water. The ripples and waves take the moonlight in different direction, sort of like us." She mumbled, looking out across the bay.

      She laid her head over on Efe's shoulder, snuggling in close to him. " I know you don't want to talk about it, but we have to. It will only be worse if we wait. Do you believe her?" Carolina asked, not really wanting to know the answer.

      Efe answered, " Hmm, well, I have never known Paola to lie, but she was angry with me when I told her that things were over between us. But to bring a baby into a situation like this.....I just don't know." He said, turning his eyes away from her in embarrassment.

      " Did you promise her things,....you know, like promising her they you would marry her. You know girls do get those ideas when they are with a guy for a long time. Did you plan on marrying her one day?" She asked, the words burning her heart.

      Efe turned towards her quickly, " No...never. And I never gave her that idea. It was just fun, I know that sounds bad, but it was just for fun." Efe closed his eyes and hung his head, " Look, I wasn't exclusive to Paola....and she knew it. I'm not proud of it, but I was a jerk. I saw a lot of other girls while I was with her." He muttered, ashamed to even admit it.

      He rubbed his forehead vigorously, knowing how this must sound to her, " Carolina, I made mistakes... maybe not mistakes, but I had bad judgement when it came to women. I know that sounds bad, but I want to be truthful." He explained, his eyes pleading with her to understand.

      " So you had a lot of girls at the same time...is that what you're saying. I get it, you're a good looking guy....and I'm sure girls were throwing themselves at you all the time. And since we are telling the truth....that's exactly the reason I didn't want to get involved with you." She stated honestly...

      Efe pushed a strand of loose hair back from her face as he leaned in close to her, " Carolina, I know it sounds bad...I sound bad...but I'm not really. I don't want that anymore. I just want one woman...you. I just want you Carrie." He whispered, looking into her eyes. 

      Her heart fluttered as she felt his warm breath breeze gently against her face. She could see the person she loved in those eyes, a man that she wanted and believed in. If she didn't believe in him....she would have boarded that plane with her dad and flew back home to Massachusetts,....as far away from Malaga Spain as she could have gotten.

      " Well then Efe, I think you need to make things right with Paola. You have to talk to her." She ordered, looking at him defiantly. His mouth dropped open, " What...make things right with her. I'm not going to marry her Carrie, no way." He exerted his words loudly.

      Carolina narrowed her eyes, " Well of course not, but you will make this right with her. If she is carrying your child....then you will support her, and the baby." She said, then she covered his mouth with hers as if he was sealing the deal.

     Efe melted into her kiss, letting his feeling out. He needed that kiss, he wanted that kiss more than anything. After a few seconds she pulled back from him, " Ok, it's really late, and I'm sure your mom is worried sick about you. So take me to a hotel and you go home." She replied, getting to her feet.

      Efe looked at her...stunned, " A hotel? You are not going to a hotel Carolina Munro. You will come home with me, and that's the final word." He announced, grasping her hand tightly.

      " I can't and won't be separated from you. Not ever. My mom would be furious with me if I stuck you in a hotel somewhere." Efe snipped, pulling her from the rocks and heading to his car.

      Carolina smiled slightly, not wanting to show her relief, " Well ok, if you think it will be ok with your parents. I don't want to cause any problems." She quoted, as she tagged along closely behind Efe....

      Efe opened her car door for her to get in. Just that tiny gesture made her feel weak in the knees as she slide into the car. As he sat down under the wheel, he glanced her way.... He still couldn't believe that she had came back with him. He had been so close to losing her that it made him shudder with fear..... He wasn't about to let that happen again..

       Carolina tried to keep her eyes focused on the road ahead as they headed toward his house... but she couldn't keep from stealing a look at him. She needed to see him....she needed to feel him. This was the man she loved...

       A man she loved enough to choose him over her dad.... She hoped her dad would understand one day... Efe was her whole life....