Chapter Twenty

Kadir had barely slept. All he could do was think about Gabriela and what his plan had been in the beginning. " It was suppose to be a clear and simple plan,.... make Gabriela think he liked her and trick her into telling him that Paola was lying." 

      He closed his eyes and covered his face with his hands, letting out a huge sigh. " But that is wrong Kadir... and you know it."  He thought, scolding himself.  " Besides,.. you really do like her, and don't even try to lie to yourself." 

      He threw the covers back and headed to the bathroom. A hot shower might clear his head, but he wasn't sure if it would keep his mind from thinking of her.... her laughter, the way her eyes sparkled when she was telling a story, the way her skin glistened in the soft outdoor lighting... That very image of her in his mind made him shiver...

      The shower had made him feel better, but he still had to explain to his brother that this plan may not be a good one. He toweled off and dressed, hesitant to face the family this morning. He hoped it wasn't written all over his face the way he felt.

      Efe met him the hallway outside his door, " So, what happened last night. It was so late when I heard you come in. Did you have any luck with Gabby?" His brother asked, whispering so the rest of the family wouldn't hear.

      Kadir shifted his eyes away, " Well things were.....they didn't go quite as I expected. So I couldn't just start talking about Paola, and asking a bunch of questions,.... you know,...she would get suspicious." He stammered about with his explanation.

      Efe shook his head, " Well great... now what? Kadir, go see her again. This time turn on the charm. Make her think you are into her." He spurted, moving within inches of his face.

      The thought of deceiving her made him sick, " Efe, I don't know,....you know I would do anything for you.... But this is... you know,..it's cruel. And Gabby is.... " He stopped before finishing the sentence.

      Efe stepped back and eyed his brother, " Gabby is what,... she's what Kadir?" He said, with arms crossed. " You like her, don't you. Kadir, she's a friend of Paolas, and she is probably just as vindictive. You don't want to get involved with someone like that." He told him, patting him on the shoulder.

     " No,...I don't like her,....but she is nice. I took her to dinner last night and... and, we had a lot of fun. She isn't like Paola, trust me, that's one thing I know for sure." He assured his brother.

      " But, I will try and find out what I can, ok? Oh, how's Carolina? Did you get the results from the doctor?" He asked, wanting to change the subject..

       Efe lowered his head, " Yes, we got them...and it says Paola is 12 weeks pregnant, so it looks as if I'm the father. And I'm on my way to Carolina room to see if she's ok. She had another bout of dizziness last night." He explained, as he headed in down the hallway..

      Gabriela struggled to open her eyes, only peering through the tiny slits to see that the sun was already up and shining bright. She closed them back again quickly, and covered her face with the sheet. " Oh my god...my head is pounding....and I feel terrible. 

      She moaned, tossing and turning in the bed, "  What did you do last night..... what kind of fool did you make of yourself." She asked herself, remembering the dinner with Kadir,...and how much fun she had. 

      She kicked the covers from her bed and forced herself to sit up, " You know you can't hold your liquor...... especially those strong Sangrias.... She lectured herself, as she staggered her way to the bathroom.

      She turned on the shower to let the water heat up before stepping in. She slipped the straps of her nightgown off of her shoulders, letting it fall to the floor,....then she looked at herself in the mirror. " Well Gabriela, just when you thought you couldn't get anymore pathetic, you pull a trick like this..... Kadir Divit, huh...who are you kidding."  She spoke out loud, the image of him and those soft blue eyes staring back at her...

      The scalding hot water had made her feel better. The events of the night before were beginning to come alive again as she combed through her shoulder length, dark brown hair. The words that Paola had so eloquently spat at her were repeating over and over in her head.

      " Honestly,...I don't know why I stay friends with her. She is just so self-centered and mean." She thought, ripping through her hair with fury. " What makes her think that Kadir wouldn't be interested in me. And I AM NOT AN IDIOT."  

      She dressed in her stay-at-home lounging clothes, thinking how glad she was to have the next couple of days off... And she knew she didn't want to see Paola for while, as she headed to the kitchen for a cup of coffee.

      As she passed through the small living room on her way to the kitchen she saw Paola still there, stretched out on the sofa. The sight of her made her even more angry, " Paola,...Paola, hey it's time for you to go." She huffed, pushing on her shoulder.

      "Huh"....She moaned, shifting her body around. " Hey, get up. It's 9:00. You have work today." Gabriela shouted a little louder. 

      Paola slung her arm around, " Stop.... Leave me alone." She slurred. " Paola, it's late and you have work." She spoke again,,but a lot louder.

      Paola opened her eyes, looking around in confusion, " What, oh....ok. I guess I went to sleep here." She said, her voice crackling. She sat up, rubbing her face, " Bring me some water,....and a fresh cup of coffee, too." She ordered, as she grabbed her phone to check the time.

      Her demands penetrated through Gabriela like a hot knife, " No,... you need to leave. You have to open the shop in an hour. Go home and get ready." She snipped.

      Paola looked at her, shocked, " What,... what's wrong with you. Did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed?" She snickered. " Ok, I'm going, but don't forget what I said last night...stay away from Kadir. Don't be foolish enough to think he could be interested in you." She scoffed, patting Gabby on the cheek.

      Gabby slapped her hand away, " Oh, so now I'm foolish as well. I'm stupid, an idiot and foolish...Wow, it's good to know what you think of me." She hissed, glaring at her.

      Paola glared at her friend, " I'm not sure what's up with you, but you had better be careful. I'm your only friend and you can't afford to lose me." She spoke with a hint of sarcasm. " I came to share my news with you last night, but you haven't even asked me about it." She whined, giving her best pouty face.

      Gabriela rolled her eyes, " I know what happened,...You handed over the false doctor reports to Efe.. making him think that this child you're carrying is his" She shouted, throwing her hands in the air.

      Paola immediately flashed a smile, " Yes, and you should have seen the look on his face. The only downfall was that he left Red in the car, so I wasn't able to see her reaction." She snickered.

      Gabriela had heard enough, " It's time for you to go Paola. You have work.." she said, holding the front door open for her. Paola had a puzzled look on her face as she walked toward the door..

      " Are you turning your back on me Gabriela. You know you are just as much a part of this lie as I am, so don't think it won't look bad on you if my plan is exposed." She scoffed, marching out the door.

      Gabby slammed the door behind her, furious at her accusations. " What makes her think I'm just as guilty as her."  She thought, stomping off to the kitchen for her coffee.

      "If I really wanted too.....I could tip off Kadir to what is going on.... Then we would see who is the smartest. But then Kadir would never look at me again"...... And I don't want that."  She thought, as she sipped her morning coffee..