Chapter Thirty

Can tapped lightly on her door, " Carolina, it's time. All the guests are here and one very anxious groom." He told her. She opened the door slowly, almost too nervous to walk, " Ok, I guess I'm ready." She said,...her voice quivering.

      Can raised his hand in the air, " Carolina you are a vision to behold. And the necklace,...it's perfect for you. My son is a lucky man." He announced, holding on to her hand.

      He walked her down the hallway and out across the beautifully decorated courtyard. "Ok, you have it from here my daughter. We will wait for you on the beach." He muttered, holding back his tears of happiness.

      She could see the spot from where she stood, the archway of flowers, a few chairs lined along the sand filled with the most important people in their lives,...all waiting for her to walk down to meet the man she loved.

     Her hand touched the moonstone that dangled there around her neck, she closed her eyes, letting the strength from the stone fill her body. " All your troubles will soon be over....all your fears will soon be in the past.... You will soon be the happiest you have ever been."  A voice recited in her mind.

      The voice startled her at first, it was unexpected, but she recognized the voice....it was her mother's voice. She looked around, seeing if she could see her there, any sign of her, but there was not.

      She fought back her own tears, took a deep breath and walked toward that special place on the beach where Efe was waiting for her, her eyes lock with his all the way.

      Efe couldn't take his eyes off of her as she walked the short distance across the beach. It looked as if she was glowing, as she made her way toward him. The first streaks of orangey gold rays spread out across the water as he took her hand...

      " Carrie you look stunning, beautiful, even more than I could have expected." He spoke softly as they turned to face each other....

      She could see his watery eyes, " Efe...don't you dare cry. If you do then I'll cry, and that won't be good for my makeup." She whispered to him with a little smile.

       There was definitely a higher power that evening as the sun set easily into the soft blue water. Only god could have provided the beauty of a sunset like that.... As Efe and Carolina declared and promised there love for each other for the rest of their lives.....

       Kadir watched as his brother promised his life to Carolina, while sitting next to the first woman that had ever made him think about doing the same. He glanced Gabriela's way as Efe and Carolina sealed their vows with a long kiss....She was glowing.

      " Oh Kadir, thank you for bringing me here, it was a beautiful ceremony." She said, as the minister announced Mr. & Mrs. Efe Divit to guests. Kadir smiled and circled her with his arms. The gesture surprised even him a first, but it just seemed natural.

      Gabby stood there a little shocked at his actions. " Oh, well.... Ok. Thank you Kadir, uhh,...for the hug." She stammered, her body feeling hot from the encounter. Kadir held on to her, not wanting to let her go.. 

      He wasn't sure if it was the occasion, the beautiful sunset, the fact that she looked so ravishing, but he loved the way she felt in his arms. " No, thank you Gabby for being my date tonight. I couldn't imagine watching my brother get married with anyone else but you." He muttered, his lips hovering dangerously close to hers.

     Gabby gazed into his eyes, " Me either, I,..I am really happy for Efe." She stuttered, as she felt a jolt of electricity pass through her. 

      Kadir couldn't resist any longer, his lips pressed gently and softly against hers. That feeling of excitement filled his heart, as the kiss lasted longer than either of them expected. 

       Gabby melted into his arms, letting that first and most important kiss carry her away. She was spinning, her head, her body, her heart....all spinning. 

       Her phone rang, breaking the silence of their most intimate experience so far. Gabby pulled back, looking at Kadir, " I'm sorry, but my phone....it's ringing. I will see who it is." She mumbled, her lips still begging for his touch.

      She fumbled in her small bag, looking for her phone. The call said "unknown caller" and she rarely answered those, but this time something told her to answer. 

      " Hello, this is Gabriela." She spoke hesitantly, waiting for a reply. " Yes, you are Gabby? They called you Gabby right?" The woman on the other end of the call asked. Gabby stepped a few feet away from Kadir before answering, feeling in her gut that this wasn't going to be a pleasant call.

      " Yes, I'm Gabby, this is Gabby. Who is this?" She asked, her heart already pumping her blood violently through her body. " What do you want,...has something happened?" 

      The woman cleared her throat, " Well, it seems that a Paola Torres has been brought in to the Hospital. She had a car accident. Your name was the first name in her contacts,...so,...so we called you." She informed her.

      Gabby gasped, " What,...is she ok? What happened...ok, what hospital? She blurted out. The woman answered, " Hospital Quironsalaud Malaga. She is in the ER." 

      Gabby started toward the house, leaving Kadir standing there wondering what happened, "Hey Gabby, what's wrong, where are you going,...Gabby, wait." He yelled after, jogging to catch up with her. 

      She turned to him, " Kadir, take me to the hospital...  I forgot I don't have my car. Please, Paola was in a car accident and she is injured. I have to go,...she doesn't have anyone else." She muttered, as the tears ran down her face.

      Kadir took her in his arms, " Hey calm down, I'll take you. Don't worry she's going to be ok." He told her, feeling that strong urge to protect her. " Shouldn't we tell Efe. Just in case,..you know, the baby." He said quietly, not wanting upset her anymore.

      She covered her mouth, " Oh my god, the baby.....yes, yes....I guess we should." She said, hating that she had to continue on with the lie. She knew that some way she would have to let Alvaro what was going on,......just in case..... because it was his baby after all.

      Kadir rushed to the courtyard where the party was already starting, motioning for Efe to follow him. Efe wrinkled up his forehead, annoyed at being pulled away from his bride.

      " What is it Kadir. The party has started. What's wrong?" He asked, looming over his brother with his hands on his hips. " I know brother, but something has happened. Gabby just got a call from the hospital,.....Efe,...Paola was in a car accident this evening. She's in the hospital.." He spoke, resting his hand on Efe's shoulder......

      " What,...an accident. Is she hurt badly,....should I go,....Yes, I better go. I'll tell Carrie." he rambled, as a strange feeling of panic set in. Efe hurried back to the party to look for Carrie.

      She met him, " Ok, what's going on. You look white as a sheet." She asked, clinging on to his arm. " Carrie, I have to go.....to the hospital..Paola was in a car accident and...and ...I don't know how bad....or if the baby is hurt." he mumbled.

      " Ok, then let's go. What are you waiting on Efe....let's go." She shouted, grabbing his hand and starting toward the car..

      Gabby had been waiting in the car for Kadir to tell Efe, so in the meantime she found Alvaro's number and called....

       " Gabby,... this is a surprise. What dirty work is Paola having you do now?" He snapped at her. " Alvaro, Paola has had an accident....she's in the hospital.. we don't know anything yet, but Kadir is taking me there now......I thought you might want to know. Hospital Quironsalaud..." She said, then hung up...      

      Efe took a second to let his mom and dad know what was going on before they jumped in the car a followed Kadir and Gabby to the hospital....

       All the way to the hospital Carolina thought about hearing her mother's voice, just moments before the wedding,....telling her that " soon your troubles would be over .... Your fears will be in the past.......  Was this what her mother was telling her.......