Chapter Twenty Nine

Gabriela rushed about, getting ready for the wedding. She stepped from the shower and pulled her robe tightly around her, as another wave of excitement washed through her.

      " I'm going out with Kadir Divit....I can't believe it."  She sang out loud to herself. She took a little bit more time with her makeup than usual, making sure she looked appropriate for a sunset wedding.

      She wrapped her hair up in a bun at the back of her head, and framed her face softly with loose tendrils of hair. The dress fit to a tee, and she couldn't help but smile as she looked at herself in her full length mirror. But she still needed something else,....something special to make everything pop...

      " A flower,...that's what I need, a lavender flower for my hair." She rushed to the living room and snipped off one of the largest lavender blooms in her bouquet of flowers. She carefully wove the stem of the flower into the side of her bun. 

      She stood tall, turning her head from side to side,...."Now, that's better. Just enough to let Kadir know I loved the flowers, but not enough to look gaudy."  

      She knew better than to wear her heels to a beach wedding, so she slipped into her dressy sandals. She stepped back for one final look, " Not bad Gabriela Delgado Cruz....not bad at all..

      Her soft pastel floral scarf with fringe would be just perfect to wrap around her shoulders later after the sun went down, she thought, as she searched for it in her drawer. She draped the scarf over her arm and took her small clutch bag, admiring herself in the mirror....

       Kadir stood outside her door for a second before knocking. He didn't know why he felt so nervous, so jittery, almost like he couldn't breathe. He tugged at his soft blue linen shirt, making sure it was tucked properly into his light khaki colored slacks. 

      He ran his hand down the back of his head, smoothing his hair, then he knocked. It seemed like it took forever for her to open the door,...but when she did, he couldn't believe what he saw. A vision of beauty,....perfection... it made him gasp. " Gabby,...you look beautiful,..no, more than beautiful,..you look perfect." He muttered.

      Gabby smiled, " Are you sure I look ok. I don't want to embarrass you at your brothers wedding." She spoke, wrinkling up her nose. He laughed, " I'm sure, and you could never embarrass me....anywhere.." He said, reaching out his hand to her. " Shall we go?" He said, stepping aside and bowing.

      She laughed, " Yes, we shall." she joked, taking his extended arm. She must be dreaming, she thought, as they walked to the car, but she hoped she wasn't. She was ready for all of this to be true....

      Carolina had done everything herself, her makeup, her hair, but the whole time she wished her mother had been there. In all her wildest dreams, she could never imagine she would marry a man like Efe and live in another country.  

      A soft knock on the door brought her out of her thoughts, " Yes,..who is it? She asked, thinking  it would be Efe. " It's Sanem, can I come in?" She said. Carolina opened  the door, " Of course, come in." 

      Sanem was carrying the crown of white daisies in her hands, " I wanted to help you with your headpiece. Oh, Carolina you look beautiful, just beautiful." She gushed, stepping back to admire her. 

     She sat down in front of the mirror, letting Sanem place the flowers gently on her head. The white daisies and baby's breath entwined with a few green leaves looked breathtakingly beautiful nestled softly in her auburn red hair.

      Sanem covered her mouth with her hands, " That is perfect, just perfect. And I have something else for you." She said, reaching into the pocket of her dress. 

      She pulled out a necklace, a thin silver chain with a small stone attached. The stone was like none she had ever seen before, " Oh Sanem, this is beautiful. What gemstone is this?"  Carolina asked, viewing the clear blue stone.

      Sanem smiled as she dangled the necklace from her hand. " This is a moonstone, a stone that has many different looks and meanings. Its name comes from its moon-like appearance and shine. But most of all it promotes emotional balance and spirituality." She recited.

      Carolina lifted her hair as Sanem placed the necklace around her neck. " Can gifted me this necklace many years ago. The moonstone always had a deep meaning for him, he felt it kept him safe. Something he always wanted for me and for his children,.... to be emotionally whole."

      Carolina touched the crystal blue stone as it laid against her skin, " But this was your husbands gift to you, I shouldn't take it from you." She muttered, her throat was tight with emotion as she tried to speak.

      Sanem touched her cheek, " You are our child now, and we both want the same for you. This necklace has worked its magic for Can and I, so now it's time for it to keep you safe and whole as our sons wife." She spoke.

      " And just so you know,...we, us, you and I, we keep the Divit men on track. If we are in balance, then so are they".....She giggled, and gave her a hug. " It's almost time, so I will leave you alone, but just know..... we couldn't have picked a more perfect match for our son than you." She said as she left the room.

      Efe paced the dock next to the boat, "Kadir are you sure that everything has been stocked. I don't want anything to go wrong." He exclaimed nervously. Kadir looked at their dad and shook his head, " Dad I think we have a nervous groom on our hands, don't you." He joked, slapping his brother on the back.

      Can placed his arm around Efe, " Son, your brother had taken care of everything. Don't worry about it. We have even checked the weather for the next few days, and it looks like you will have perfect days and nights to enjoy," He replied.

      Efe nodded, shoving his hands in his pockets, " Ok, I trust you. But if....." He spoke, pointing his finger at Kadir. 

      " Nothing is going to happen. Nothing but you and Carolina having the best honeymoon ever."  Kadir said. " Now if you don't mind, I'm going to see about my date. I just showed her to her seat then ditched her." He explained, as he hurried down the dock. 

      Efe stood there looking at the water, " Dad, it seems as if Carolina and I are starting out our lives together much like you and mom did. Maybe not quite as many problems, but still not the way I wanted it to be. Do you have any advice for me?" He asked, turning to look at his father.

      Can looked solemn, " Efe, do you love her?  Does she make you feel at home and peaceful when you are with her?  Do you worry more about her than you do yourself? Is it impossible for you to consider your life without being able to feel her skin or smell her scent?  If you answer yes to these things then there will never be a problem to big for the both of you to handle." 

      Efe smiled, " I answer yes to all of those things dad, so I guess it's time to go to my wedding." He replied, giving his dad a huge hug. 

      The closer Paola came to Divit Estates, the more her anger boiled up inside.  " How could he do this to me.... I gave him everything, all of me. But he never even wanted it."  She thought, the tears filling her eyes. 

      " Well he is not going to do that to me. He isn't going to make me look like a fool." She yelled out loud, as she sped down the road going toward the beach. 

      The world seemed to be spinning out of control for her. All she could think of, was revenge.

      She never saw the stop sign, or the car coming from the other direction....not until her car was slammed into viciously....and the glass shattered all around her....