Chapter Eight

Paola couldn't believe what she had just heard. Carolina was still here. But she watched her dad march her off to the taxi at the Divit's the day before. What had happened?....

      She drew In a deep breath and exhaled with force along with a scream. " Ok, ....ok, it doesn't matter if she is here or not. Just a little bump in the road. All that matters is the baby, and that they believe it's Efe's." She spoke, pacing the floor.

      She grabbed her phone and placed a call to Gabby. " Hey, I need your help. Come over here right now." She yelled through the phone. Gabby held the phone out away from her ear with a frown on her face, " Wow, Paola what's wrong. I can't just leave right now, I'm working. And you need to calm down." She replied, already fed up with the mess she had gotten herself in.

      Paola closed her eyes, trying to control herself. " Gabby,.... Carolina didn't leave with her dad....do you hear me.....she didn't leave. Now we need to make some adjustments to our plan." She said slowly and deliberate through gritted teeth.

     Gabby swallowed hard, " What? She didn't go home. How do you know this Paola? Did you see them, did she come to your shop...." She babbled on. 

      " No, no, no....Efe came to the shop earlier. He told me she didn't leave....she is at his house with his parents." She blurted out as the tears came with the words.

      Gabriela never liked seeing Paola so upset, even if it was from her own doing, " Paola please, calm down. We will figure it out..ok? Did you met with Alvaro this morning? Did he agree not to say anything about your relationship?" She said, trying to ease her friends pain.

      Paola sniffed and coughed, " No. he said he didn't want to see me right now. He's still upset with me I guess." She whined, wiping the tears from her face. " I don't understand these men anyway. I never told him we would be together forever." 

      " Well, just so you know, you were right. Kadir was here right at lunch time." Gabriela said. "I didn't t give him a chance to say much, but I think he'll be back, and he may not be so easy to get rid of next time." 

      How could this well laid plan, all of a sudden become a disaster, " Gabby, you will have to take care of Kadir. Make him realize that I was devastated over Efe leaving me, but that I am overjoyed about this baby.." She emphasized, laying her hand delicately over her stomach.

      " Now, I have a more serious problem to attend to. I have to go to the doctor and pickup the paperwork for Efe. But first I have to make sure that Ana has fixed the date on them. Efe needs to think that I was pregnant when he left." She explained. 

      Paola recalled the last time that her and Efe had sex. It was 3 weeks before he dropped the bomb on her that he was leaving Malaga for a while, and that they were over. She was happy when Efe had wanted to meet the day, she thought he was going to tell her he couldn't live without her and he was ready to get married, but couldn't have been further from the truth.

      She remembered the hurt, the humiliation, the anger, she had felt that moment he told her. But what she hadn't expected was to take refuse in her old boyfriend so quickly after being dumped by Efe, or to become pregnant by him. 

      The next phone call would be to her friend Ana at the doctors office. Well, calling her a friend was a bit overstated, she was an acquaintance that Paola just happened to see in a very precarious situation, and one not with her husband... So Paola used what she had witnessed in exchange for an altered pregnancy result..

      She hung the " out to lunch" sign on the front door of the shop and headed to the doctors office. Ana assured her the documents were ready for her to pickup and all the dates were correct. "Yes the papers are ready Paola, and this settles my debt to you...right?" She whispered through the phone.

      Paola was hesitant to break ties with her just yet, just in case she might need more proof for Efe. " Well now Ana, I think I might hold on to what I saw for a while longer. But these papers will definitely keep my mouth shut for now." She replied gleefully..

      With the false reports in hand, Paola made another stop to see her friend Gabby, and pick up some lunch. Gabby could tell that Paola had more ideas flying around in her head as she sat down at her table. " Oh Gabby, things are working out. I have the papers to prove to Efe I'm pregnant, and you are going to take care of little brother for me....now, just to get Alvaro to keep quiet about our relationship..and I'm home free.

      Kadir was still thinking about his talk with Gabby as he rode home. He hadn't intended to be so blunt and rude, but that's just what he had been. He was suppose to win her over with his charm and make her spill out all the information she had on Paola. He wasn't as good at that as his brother Efe was....using his charm to get what he wanted.

        Maybe the thought of playing with someone's emotions didn't make him feel good. He had always liked Gabriela, she was pretty, she had always been nice to him, and to Efe... The fact that she a couple of years older than him was even more enticing to him.

       He shook his head, " No, no, no. You are suppose to be helping Efe and Carolina, not thinking about how to get yourself a girl,...even though the thought of her had crossed his mind a few times over the past years....this was not the time." He told himself, as he turned into the road leading to home.

       Sanem left Efe and Carolina alone on the beach and headed inside to find Can. The smell of fresh brewed tea lingered in the kitchen, so she knew that Can was close by. She found him at his desk, looking over some photos of their boys that Can had taken many years ago.

      " Where did these two go, what happened to the little boys that played on the beach for hours and never got tired of it." Can spoke softly. He didn't turn around to see who had entered the room....he just knew who it was. " Are Efe and Carolina ok? I heard him come back a while ago. Did he talk to Paola?" He asked.

       Sanem slid he arms around his neck, " Well the answer to your first question is simple,...Those two are still here, right here in the beach. They just have a different look about them. We should be proud Can, that they are still here with us. We raised them well, and they will do the right thing." She mumbled in his ear, then giving him a kiss.

       " And the answer to the second question is, Yes, he talked to Paola. He will go back this afternoon for the paperwork from her doctor." She continued, with more kisses as she moved down his neck.

       Can turned and pulled her down on his lap, " Don't play with me my dear wife." He said with a smirking smile. " Just because our children are here, doesn't mean I won't have my way with you." He whispered, toying with her lips. 

       Sanem didn't resist, as she opened her mouth and returned his kiss,...a kiss that brought him to full attention... " Do we dare?....Should we shut and lock the door, or just play it dangerously." She whispered, running her hands down his chest.....