Chapter Six

The look on Paolas face was priceless. She had no idea that he had caught Carrie at the airport and brought her back home with him. But Efe knew he wouldn't let Paola pull Carrie into her web of poison..

      " Look Paola, I just want the paperwork from your doctor. So have them here later and I will come by and pick them up." He scowled at her. " Or you can give me the name of your doctor and I will go by and get a copy for myself."

      Paola felt her heart skip a beat, " There's no need for that, I'll have your copy here for you later this afternoon. I will go home at lunch to get it." She told him, her mind racing for a quick solution.

      Then a smile crossed her face, " But the dinner invitation still stands my love. You know they say that a baby, even in the womb, can still sense the presence of their parents. It's never too early to start the bonding process." She chirped, as she leaned across the counter, with her low cut top leaving little to the imagination.

       Efe shook his head, " You'll never change will you Paola. I just want you to know, I have no desire to look at another woman, touch another woman or be with another woman other than Carrie. So no need to waste your time." He replied with a chuckle. " I'll be back at 4:00 this afternoon, and make sure the paperwork is here." He ordered as he turned and walked out.

       Kadir wasn't sure where he wanted to start first. He knew a few people that were in Paola's circle of friends, but he didn't know if he knew them well enough to coax any information out of them..... But there were a couple of her girlfriends that had been a little more attentive than normal when he was around..

      One of her friends attended the university and they had met a couple of times for coffee, so maybe he would start with her. He heard that she was working part time at the local florist shop. With any luck he could find her there today.

      The florist shop was only a few blocks from the boutique where Paola worked. Kadir noticed Efe car still parked in front of the boutique as he went by. He hoped that neither of them saw him as he stopped in front of the florist shop. 

      He pulled off his helmet and checked his look of his hair in the side mirror, taking a second to smooth down a few misplaced hairs. " Ok, make yourself pretty."  He thought, with a smirk. This was not at all his style, he thought, as he headed toward the florist shop. He was not the type to use how he looked to get what he wanted. But this was not a normal situation. He would do what ever it took to help his brother and Carolina.

      Well, he would have to mark off the first person on his list, as he left the shop.  Kadir straddled his motorcycle and reached for his helmet, " Well I guess a lot can change in a few months." He thought, as he pulled the helmet down tightly over his head. He had no idea that Paolas friend, Sophie, had packed her bags over a month ago and found a new home in Greece. 

      He would have to find another friend that would be willing to tell him what he wanted to know. The next person on his list was Gabriela. She had always made it clear that she would be open to more than just being acquaintances. He had always wondered how Paola and Gabriela had become such close friends, they were nothing alike. 

      Kadir hoped that Gabriela would be at work today, as he headed his bike toward the bar.  That part of town was very quiet in the middle part of the day, with most of the action happening after the dinner crowd, so he parked his bike right in front of Mateo's Bar.  

      The bar was a little quirky, but still a very popular place for some of the students. Kadir had visited a few times with Efe, since this was one of Paolas favorite places. 

      The door was open so he walked in, scanning the bar area and the eating area for Gabriela. There were only a few regulars there at this time of day, three seated at the bar and four couples seated at the tables. 

      Gabriela swung open the door from the kitchen area carrying four plates, " Welcome, have a seat wherever you like and I'll be right with you." She shouted out to him, not even looking his way. 

      Kadir did just that, as he pulled out a chair and sat down at the table next to the door. Gabriela served the two tables with their food, made a bit of small talk before turning to wait on the new customer. Her wide smile quickly turned to a look of shock as she saw the person sitting at the table.

      Kadir smiled and nodded, " Gabriela, hi....it's been a while since I've been in, so I thought I would come by for your famous Paella, with chicken please, and a beer." He added, giving her a slight wink.

      Gabriela was all by stunned. She figured he would eventually come by to try and find out about Paola, but she never dreamed it would be so soon. " Kadir, hi. Heard you and Efe were back from your trip, your adventure, your becoming a man ritual, or what ever it was." She said, with a snappish tone.

      " Yes we are back. And I'm sure Paola was the one to tell you." He replied with the same snap to his voice. He hadn't planned on bringing up Paola just yet, but his temper was hard to control.

      Gabriela was already beginning to feel the effects that Kadir Divit had on her. That feeling of intense heat that started at her toes and surge up through her body like a flame from a torch, but she knew she had to fight it off. 

      " Well, that's just like you Divit men, think you know it all." She huffed, " It was Efe that told me,...when he had the nerve to bring his new girlfriend in here and flaunt her around like a trophy." She blurted out, as she flipped around to go turn in his order. 

      But Kadir wasn't quite through yet, as he retaliated, " Yes, so in this case, us Divit men do know it all Gabby. We know that Paola is out to ruin Efe's life....and I for one do not intend to let it happen. And for your information, Carolina is twice the woman that Paola is... or any of her friends." He answered back with fury...

      Gabriela's face begin to turn red and her eyes filled with tears. Kadir immediately wished he hadn't blared out that last sentence, as he watched her wipe the tears from her face. 

     " Well if that's how you feel,...then maybe you should find another place to have your lunch. I wouldn't want to impose my low moral standards on you." She muttered, her voice quivering with emotion.

     Kadir stood there unable to speak for a second, " Oh, uhh, hey Gabby I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that. You're not at all like Paola....I mean... I....I,...Look, I don't think you would ever try and trap someone into being with you by using a baby, but that's what Paola is doing." He said softly. The pain in her face made him regret every word he had said...

      Gabriela stepped closer to Kadir, " Did you ever think that it might be true. That your perfect brother might have screwed up this time?.....No, you didn't.  Even if I don't agree with what Paola is doing, she is still my friend, and Efe hurt her." She hissed at him.

      Kadir threw his leg over the seat and plopped down on his bike. "Well that didn't go as I planned." He thought, as he recalled the look on her face and her eyes filled with tears. 

      "I didn't mean to hurt her feelings..... I always liked Gabby....Why did I say all those things to her."  He thought, with regret....

      He glanced back at the bar, " I will need to come back and apologize... That is, if she will listen to me."  He said to himself.