Chapter Twenty Four

Kadir pulled up in front of the apartment complex.  He hadn't called her to let her know he was coming, which may have been a mistake. But it was a chance he was willing to take, as he walked up the sideway.

      The building consisted of four small apartments, two on the bottom and two on the top. Her apartment was on the bottom and to the left. He hesitated, smoothing his hair down, before he knocked on the door. He took a deep breath then tapped on the door three times.

      The knock startled Gabby at first. She was just slipping into her best pair of jeans, and her favorite t-shirt to meet an old friend at the movies. So the last thing was wanted was to see Paola. 

      Her first thought was to not answer the door, but if she knew Paola, she wouldn't go away peacefully. Just as she reached the door to open it, there was another knock on the door, but this time it was a little louder.

      She jerked open the door, " Ok, Ok, what do....." she snapped, fully expecting to be looking at Paola, but instead she was standing in front of Kadir.  

      " Hi, sorry I didn't call first, but I was close by and thought we could,...maybe, if you want, we could grab a bite." He stuttered. 

      She couldn't help but smile, " Kadir, it's you. I...I... didn't expect you." She said, touching her hair that was still piled on top of her head in a mess. " Come in...I was just getting ready....I was going to meet a....would you like a drink?" She babbled, feeling a bit uncomfortable.

      Kadir held up his hand, "No, thanks. Did you say you already have plans. I was really hoping we could.... Well if you have plans, I'll be on my way.then." He replied, hanging his head.

      " No,....I mean, it was just with an old girlfriend. We were going to a movie,...but it's nothing that I can't get out of,....I mean if you still want to." She mumbled, shifting nervously.

       Kadir smiled even broader, " Good. Well, are you ready then let's go." He said, walking toward the door. 

       " NO,....I mean, let me change. I need to fix my hair." She blurted out, as she walked backwards toward the bedroom. " I will just be a second. Just sit down, I'll....I'm coming right back." She explained,  as she disappeared into the other room.

      She rushed into the bathroom, jerking the clip from her hair, " Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god.....I can't believe he is here."  She whispered quietly, her stomach fluttering with excitement. She dialed her friend to explain, " Hi Maria, look I'm sorry but something has come up and I won't be able to meet tonight.  I'm really sorry, but let's plan it for another time." She lied, as she applied a fresh coat of lipstick.

      She threw her head over, running her fingers through her long thick hair, then tossing her head back. Just a little fluff, she thought, as she put the rest of her hair in place with her fingers.

     She stepped back, looking at herself in the mirror, " Hmm, I don't know. Maybe a jacket to go over the t-shirt,....my leather one." She said out loud, reaching inside her closet to grab it. She slid it on and looked once again in the mirror. " Yes, that's it. It almost matches his jacket."   One final look before she went out. 

      " Ok, now I'm ready, so let's go." She said with confidence as she entered the room. Kadir turned and smiled, " Hey, you look great. Good choice on the jacket. It's supposed to be cooler tonight." He offered with a laugh..

      " So where are we going tonight. Are we going to the same outdoor cafe?" She asked as she fit the helmet on her head. He nodded, " No, I have someplace special I want to take you. And I have something special I want to ask you." He remarked, revving up his motorcycle and speeding off down the street.

      Her head was in a daze, "Something special...... What could that be."  She asked herself, already letting her imagination go wild. " Whatever it is,..I'm going to say ..Yes"  She thought, slipping her arms around his body tightly...

      Paola parked in front of her apartment and started to the front door.  She knocked, then waited. She knocked again and waited. But Gabby didn't answer. After a few seconds she banged her fist on the door, " Gabby, let me in. You're acting like a child." She yelled angrily through the door.

      The next door neighbor open her door, " Hi....hey Gabby isn't home. She left a just a few minutes ago." She told her, then slammed her door again. Paola stood there, feeling confused, but then it turned to anger, " Ok, have it your way Gabby, my friend. I will let you have your fun, but I may not want you back as my friend if you're not careful."  She thought as she stormed back to her car.

      Kadir took off down the Highway. Excited to have that feeling of her against his back and her arms wrapped around him again. He was taking her to a place that he loved, a place that was the most beautiful spot in Malaga. He hoped she would feel the same way..

      He veered off the Highway, going toward Acantilados y Tuneles de El Cantal. The road was narrow as he wound his way along. Before long he pulled up close to a railing the ran along a huge boulder that extended out into the over the sea.

      He sat there in silence for a second, looking out at the water. " Here is is, the most magical place in Malaga. I think this is the spot where you can see forever, you can see nothing but still you can see it all." He said, as he grasped her hand, entwining his fingers with hers.

     She held her breath, feeling his hand on hers. It made her shiver with excitement. He lifted his leg over the seat of the bike, then extended his hand to her, "Here let me help you." He offered, letting his eyes look into hers.

      She smiled and took his hand, " Thanks, so this is your special place?" She said, glancing around. He nodded, " Yes, it always has been." He said, reaching into the side bag and pulling out a sack and a bottle of wine. 

      " Dinner,... empanadas and wine. Two meat ones, and two strawberry. You do like them don't you?" He said with a serious face. She laughed, " Of course I do, but I think you spoke to someone at the bar, didn't you?" She answered him back, shaking her finger at him.

     His face took on a pale shade of red, " Well maybe, but only because I wanted to make sure you would eat it." He replied, his face turning soft and gentle as he looked her. " I just wanted to please you." He said, extending out his hand to her. 

     She smiled, and boldly reached for his hand, but the truth was she was weak in the knees just being this close to him, so the fact that he asked around to make sure he got the food she liked, well, it almost blew her mind.

      He guided her down a narrow path to a spot with a bench, overlooking the water. He pulled a large purple bandana from inside his jacket and spread it down on the bench, then glanced at her with a slight smile, as if he was quite proud of himself . 

      She looked at him with narrowed eyes, " You even found out my favorite color. Kadir, what are you doing?" She asked, as her heart thumped away in her chest.

      He motioned for her to sit, " I just want to know you. I want to know everything about you,...so I asked the people closest to you what your favorite things were." He muttered, feeling embarrassed.

      " I told you I had something special to ask you, so here it is." He said, sitting down beside her. Gabby's heart jumped into her throat, and her mouth became as dry as the desert. "What....what, what is it Kadir?" She stuttered, the blood rushing to her head.

      " I want you to come to Efe and Carolina's wedding with me,....as my date." He spoke, focusing his eyes on hers.

      She exhaled her pent up breath and smiled, " So Efe and Carolina are getting married? I'm so glad, and yes, I would love to go with you,...as your date." She replied. 

" Not exactly the question she was thinking of,...but one that was just as unexpected. Maybe this is the beginning of something good in her life." She thought.