Chapter Twenty One

Carolina was rolled up in a ball in the lounge chair, still holding the phone in her hand. The phone conversation with her dad had gone just as she expected. But she never dreamed he would dig up all that dirt on the Divit family.

     But she had stood her ground, she had been strong, not letting him bully her into coming home. They had ended their call by Carolina promising to keep him up to speed with what was going on with Paola. 

      The sun had rose to its splendor, but the arrival of some dark ominous looking clouds off in the distant had blocked the beautiful start to the day. The wind had picked up and she could feel the temperature start to drop. 

      She pulled the throw tightly around her, as she watched the sky change from a brilliant orange and blue, to an angry color of grey. 

      " There you are. I looked in your room and you weren't there." Efe spoke, as he hurried up behind her. " So what are you doing out here. There's some rain coming in." He asked as he slid in beside her in the chair. 

      Carolina smiled slightly, welcoming his arms as he wrapped her up and pulled her close to him. " I woke up early and decided it was time to call my dad." She mumbled. 

      " I wish you had waited for me,...I wanted to be with you when you made the call." Efe said, knowing that the call hadn't gone well. Carolina rubbed his arm, feeling how strong he was, how protective he was. 

      " I needed to call on my own Efe. And he did just what I thought he would do,... he begged me to come home. But what I didn't expect was,.... The length he would go to for that to happen."

      She sat up and turned to him, " Efe he knows all about your grandmother and her time in prison. I'm so sorry that he went that far." She spoke sincerely, as she stroked his face. "And he also knows about your Uncle Emre. But I told him that all those things had been many years ago." she said.

      Efe looked away from her, " Damn, I figured he would find out about Huma Erdamar, but I don't know how he found out about Emre." The embarrassment showing on his face. " So he thinks we are a terrible family, right? You told him that's why my parents stayed here in Spain didn't you?" He emphasized, desperately wanting to explain to Adam himself.

       " I did Efe, please don't worry, my dad is just that way, it's  a military thing. I told him everything you told me about what happened in your mom and dads life." she assured him. "Hey, I know my father better than anyone,....if he thought all that stuff had anything to do with what kind of person you and your parents were......well he wouldn't have waited to talk to me on the phone,...he would have been back here in person and carried my away." She told him with a smile.

      Efe pulled her next to him, " I'm glad he didn't. So you think it's a good sign that he come back here to rescue you from the evil Divit family holding you hostage in this beautiful place." He joked, kissing her on top of the head.

      She laughed, a natural and sincere laugh. Something that he hadn't heard from her in a while. It made him feel good. " So Miss Carolina Munro, I asked you a very important question recently, but you didn't give me a straight answer." Efe said, lifting her head to look into her eyes.

      She knew the very question he was talking about, and she knew she didn't give an answer. But now, getting married seemed like the right thing to do. She loved him, that wasn't going to change, and whatever happened with Paola they would face together. 

      She smiled, " Mr. Divit, are you saying you want to get married,...to me....right here on the beach?" She replied teasingly, running her finger along the muscles on his chest.

      Efe sucked in his breath as he welcomed her touch. He had missed their intimacy over the past few days, and the feel of her presence had stirred him. " Yes,...I...I..suppose I am saying that. What do you say Carrie. Let's get married, I don't want to wait." He stammered, his body becoming heated and aroused.

      " Well,...I say YES...Yes, Yes.. But nothing elaborate, please. I want a wonderful ceremony right her on the beach, at sunset. Ok?" She announced, as if she had it all planned in her head.

      Efe jumped up, almost spilling them both out onto the sand, " You will,... you're sure. You want to get married here, on the beach. I think that would be great." His voice shrill with excitement..

      Kadir knew something exciting had just happened as he approached his brother and Carolina, " Hey you two, breakfast is ready. What's going on." He asked with a smirk.

       They both looked around startled, " Oh Kadir,.. ok we're coming." He said, as they tried to hide their happiness. " No, you have to tell me what's going on." Kadir said, with a serious face.

      " You'll find out very soon. So let's go eat." Efe said, as he grabbed Carolinas hand and headed toward the house. " We will announce it over breakfast, ok?" Efe whispered to her, hugging her tightly against him.

      Paola and Gabby had been best friends for years, and Paola had never seen Gabby act that way before. " Just when I need her the most, she's going to start acting weird on me."  She thought as she looked at herself in the mirror, applying her deep red lipstick and going over the last few moments of her conversation with Gabby.

      Going to work was the last thing she had on her mind, but the thought of getting fired was something she didn't want to think about right now, not until she was officially Mrs. Efe Divit. She smiled at herself in the mirror, " It will happen....I know it. This baby is going to get me everything I ever wanted,... even if it's not Efe's.... She told herself, smoothing down her silky black hair.

      She felt a small twinge of discomfort radiate across her lower stomach as she stepped into her stiletto's. It was enough for her to notice, but nothing that alarmed her, so she grabbed her bag and her coffee and headed to her car. 

      Her little tiff with Gabby was still on her mind. She would let her stew about it until lunch time, then she would call, just to give Gabby the opportunity to apologize to her.  " She'll be over it by then, and beg me to forgive her." She smirked, as she opened the shop for the day.

      Gabriela was having a hard time getting motivated for the day. After kicking Paola out the door, and realizing what her friend really thought of her,....she just wanted to disappear. Even the thought of Kadir couldn't make her feel good about herself. 

      She took her third cup of coffee and went to the backyard yard. Although it was tiny, she loved sitting out there smelling the flowers and listening to the birds. It made her problems go away..... but it didn't stop her from thinking about Kadir.

      She actually found herself smiling as she thought about him.  How he shocked her with his choice of restaurants, how he knew what she liked to drink and even what food to order. She didn't want Paola to be right about him,...she wanted Kadir to like her, for her, and not just to use her.

      It surprised her to even think that way. To even imagine she could be with Kadir Divit, but why not....why not her.  " Just because Paola thought she was a pathetic loser....no, an idiot, that's what she called her.......That doesn't make it true...

      Any other time, when she fought with Paola, her life had seemed to be over. But this time she didn't care she ever spoke to Paola again. This time Paola had gone too far....