Chapter Seven

Can had served up a breakfast fit for royalty. " This is all delicious Mr. Divit, but I'm stuffed." Carolina said, raising up her hand to his offer of another helping. The thought of Efe and Paola together, having their "talk" was all she could think of at the time. 

      If this didn't work out, she wasn't sure what she was going to do. Going back home to Massachusetts would probably not be an option, even if she wanted to. The concern was written all over her face,.... And it was plain to Sanem that Carolina needed some reassurance.

      " Carolina my dear, I know my son, I know both of my sons very well. Just trust him, he will make the right decision. I know how much he loves you." Sanem said, as she grasped her hand.

      " Ok let's clean the kitchen, and then let's take a walk. The beach is beautiful this time of day. I know that Efe will be back by the time we are." She remarked with a smile..

      Carolina nodded and smiled, " Ok, sounds great. But what makes the beach so beautiful at this time of day?" She asked as they cleared the table.

      " I think it's the way the sun glistens down on the sand, or the reflection of it from the water. Either way it's a sight to see. The sand sparkles with color. Just wait, you'll see." Sanem told her, making it sound magical.

      They quickly finished the clean up and Sanem grabbed two sun hats. She plopped one on her head, and offered the other one to Carolina, " Here wear this, the sun is not kind to your face." She explained, as she placed the hat on her head.

     Carolina smiled, adjusting the hat a little. " Thanks. I'm so fair skinned that I always have to wear sunscreen. But your skin is beautiful, it's what we call olive skin." She said, beginning to relax a little more in her presence.

      Sanem looped her arm through Carolina's, " Come, let's go this way. The scenery is beautiful." She explained as they walked along slowly, letting the sand caress their feet with every step. 

      They had walked along in silence for a few minutes before Sanem finally spoke, " Everyone around here always thought that Can and I had the most perfect relationship. That finding our love had come without any problems..... But let me assure you it did not." She spoke, as she stared straight ahead.

      Sanem sighed, " Can and I came from different backgrounds. But that wasn't the problem, that was the one thing that drew us close to each other." She recalled, sounding nostalgic. 

      She turned to Carolina with a smile, "We are cursed to have fallen in love with men that are irresistible to other women. The Divit men seem to draw to every woman they are around." She said, with a seriousness.

      " But with that being said,.... the Divit men are the most loyal. When they find the woman they love, the woman that they can't live without, they will not let go. Trust me Carolina, I know this from experience." She stated. 

       The conversation took Carolina by surprise. Efe had told her about his parents and their fairytale like love story, but she never dreamed that Sanem herself would be telling her about their personal struggle to be together. But she listened, in awe of this love story, as Sanem spoke.....

      " There were always, " other women" around Can Divit. It was just a fact. But the funny thing about it was, he never noticed them. He was so unaware of the advances of most of these women that it was ridiculous." She remarked, with a laugh.

      " But it was I that noticed, suffered and was humiliated by these women, that I considered my opponents. The woman that caused us the most pain and damage in the beginning was Can's mother, Huma." She said, her tone changing.

     Carolina could tell that just the mention of Can's mothers name still had an affect on her. She wondered how any woman could be so insensitive to their child as she was. Efe had touched on the how evil she had been to his mother over the years.

      As the conversation went on, Sanem went over all the things had caused problems in their relationship. She explained how immature she had been when they met, how naive she was about the world that Can lived in. 

      They had stopped and turned, looking out across the aqua blue water, when Sanem revealed, " I never expected to fall in love with him you know. He was such a huge dynamic person, I was in awe of him." She said with a smile. " But even more surprising than that,...was that he fell in love with me."  She told her, glancing her way. Carolina could see the tears they were forming in  Sanem's eyes.

      Carolina tightened her hold on Sanem's arm, giving it a slight squeeze, " You and Mr. Divit look  very happy, and Efe has told me about how you came to be here in Spain." She said, feeling lucky to have known the story. " Efe and I both want that kind of love,...the kind of love you have." She told her with a smile.

      Sanem took a deep breath, " I believe you do already. Efe is very much in love with you. He is like his father in so many ways, and being a hopeless romantic is just one of them. They don't let go Carolina, they hold on with all they have when they find the love of their lives." Sanem stated, holding on tightly to her hand.

      Carolina began to feel her fears all go away as they stood there together, " Thank you Mrs. Divit. I hope we can be just like you and your husband. I know it was a shock when Efe showed up with me, and announced we were in love,...but we were....we are, and I don't want anything to come between us." She spoke with emotion.

      " Don't worry my dear, I don't think Efe or Kadir would let that happen... you know Kadir would do anything for you two." She stated, giving her a wink of assurance. " And please, call me Sanem, at least for now, then we will see what you want to call me later." She said as they started back toward the house. 

      Carolina smiled, she wondered how anyone could have any bad feelings for this woman. Sanem was a beautiful, forgiving and thoughtful person....and she was thankful to be here with her. She knew she was in the right place...

      " Carolina, hey, I'm back babe." Efe yelled at her from down the beach. Carolina looked up and saw him jogging toward them. " Hi my love. I see my mom has been entertaining you." Efe said, leaning down to give her a kiss.

      " So, what happened. Did you talk to Paola?" Carolina asked immediately. Efe smiled, " Yes I did. But I will have to go back this afternoon for the paperwork." He explained, smoothing back the strands of auburn hair they had blown across her face. 

      " Don't worry, I will be careful. I won't take anything she says at face value....I promise." He muttered, cupping her face with his hands.....

      She smiled griping his hands tightly. " Good, we just need the truth, that's all. We will deal with the truth....what ever it is." She muttered, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath....

      He draped his arm around her shoulders, walking with them back to the house. His mind was still mulling over what Paola had said to him...... Maybe he would take Carolina back with him. It might be time for Paola to see them as a united front.......