Chapter Seventeen

The was dinner was delicious, as always. Mr. Divit had surprised her with his ability to make such an outstanding meal. " That was amazing Mr. Divit. I didn't realize how hungry I was, but it seems that I have made a pig of myself." She said, as she pushed herself away from the table.

      Can narrowed his eye, " Carolina, I thought we were past the Mr. Divit title,...please just call me Can." He smiled, making her feel at ease.

     Carolina nodded, " Of course... Can the dinner was fantastic, and please don't judge me by my appetite." She joked. 

      This was a perfect evening, she thought, so perfect that she had almost forgot about Paola and the baby. But the large envelope lying at the end of the table reminder her instantly of what was really going on..

      " Efe, maybe you should find out when  Paola's next doctor appointment is and make sure you go along. You don't want to miss this experience." Carolina blurted out unexpectedly. Efe looked her way, surprised at at her proposal. 

      " You think so?" He said, studying her face. " I'm not sure if that's a good idea...I mean, that would only give Paola the wrong idea." The conversation was making Efe very uncomfortable, as he moved away from the table. 

     " Oh, don't worry, I would be there to make sure she doesn't get the wrong idea. But you need to be involved with everything. That's the only way to keep your eye on her. If not, then she can tell you what ever she wants to....and make you believe it." She snipped, as her eyes glazed over with tears. 

     Efe reached for her, he hated to see her upset, and over the past couple of days that's all he had seen. " Trust me babe, I will never believe everything that Paola says. I know her, and I know I have to see things for myself." He gently rubbed her arms, feeling her tremble. 

      Carolina blinked back her tears, " Ok, so you need to...no, we need to go to the next doctor visit. Let the doctor know that you want to be involved and you want to know everything." She demanded. 

      " She's right son. Don't let Paola have control. And make sure she knows you want a DNA test done as soon as the baby is born.." Sanem spoke up immediately, showing her support of Carolina.

     Efe nodded, " Ok. I will call and find out about her next appointment. We will go together, don't worry. Paola will understand that we are in this as a couple. Carrie, I love you.... nothing will change that, or come between us....I promise." He told her, as he wrapped his arms around her tightly.

      Carolina felt a wave of weakness pass through her body. She felt her knees buckle as she slumped over toward Efe. " Carrie, Carrie...are you ok?" Efe shouted, holding onto her as her body crumbled.

      Can grabbed on as well, helping Efe guide Carolina to the sofa. " Carrie, what's wrong...babe, here lie back." He said, easing her down gently on the sofa. " Carrie, I'm sorry.. here have some water.....Dad, help me get her to my car, she's going to the hospital." He ordered, as he cradled her in his arms..

      Carolina opened her eyes, " Oh, I...I... I'm sorry. I just felt a little dizzy." She muttered, trying to sit up. "I'm ok now. There's no reason to go to the hospital. I think I'm just tired." She explained, giving them a broad smile.

      Sanem blotted her face with the cold cloth, " Are you sure. You look a little pale. Would you like some ginger tea, it's suppose to cure anything that ails you." She offered, but she was just as concerned as Efe about these bouts of sickness...

      " That would be great, and then a good nights sleep and I'm sure I will be as good as new." She replied with a giggle. But she wasn't sure herself,.....she had a strange feeling inside her. 

      Efe wasn't easy to convince, but after a reassuring look from his mother, he agreed. " Ok, but another incident like this and you're going to the hospital, no questions asked...got it?" He spoke firmly, as he stroked her face.

      " Really I'm fine. But I think I will turn in for the night. Oh,....but I was going to call my dad." She said, wrinkling up her face. " I guess it will wait until morning, it's the middle of the night there, and I'm sure he wouldn't like a phone call to wake him up." She huffed.

      But in her mind she knew, her dad probably hadn't slept since he returned home to Hull. If she knew anything at all about her dad, it was his temper, and his determination to prove himself right...

      Efe turned down the covers on her bed as she dressed for bed, " Babe, I don't want you to keep anything from me,...ok? Don't hide it if you are sick. I don't like to see you like this." He spoke softly, as he pulled her close to him, the warmth of her spreading over him like a soft warm blanket. 

      He was having a hard time staying away from her. " I want you to know, I don't like not sharing a bed with you. I have become quite dependent on feeling you next to me at night." He whispered in her ear, as he kissed her cheek and then her neck, as the heat began to rise up through his body.

      " I feel the same way baby, but your parents want it this way for now,..so I think we need to do as they want." She stammered, as that tingly, heated feeling exploded inside her. It was hard for her as well. They had not been apart, day or night for weeks until now, and her body was feeling the effects of it....

      Efe kissed her gently, his lips nibbling at hers. The taste of her lips and the smell of her body was about to push him over the edge, as he slipped his tongue inside, rubbing his tongue against hers, as his hands slid up under her top.

      " Efe,...Efe. We can't. Not now." She breathed, pushing him away. Efe closed his eyes, and rested his forehead on hers, " I know, I'm sorry." He replied, taking a deep breath. " But I miss you. I miss the feel of your skin. 

      Carolina felt his warm breath as it spread across her. She was finding it hard to ward off his presence, and the fact that she too was missing every inch of his body. " I know, I miss you too, but...... not like this. We have always been free with our love, open to each other. I don't want to sneak around and hide just to be with you." She said, stroking his face.

      Efe shook his head in agreement, " Ok, I understand. Good night my love, and don't worry, this won't last forever, I promise." He whispered, as his lips brushed against hers before he turned quickly and walked out the door.

      He felt as if he had been kicked in the stomach as he made his way back to the living room.... "This is all my fault....  He thought. " And I am going to make it right."  

      He walked into the living room and stood defiantly in front of both Can and Sanem...." Mom, Dad....I want to marry Carrie as soon as possible. I know it won't be easy, but that is what I want." He announced, looking them straight in the eyes....

      It took a second for what he was saying to sink in. But then Can answered, " Ok,...you say this is what you want....But what about Carolina." He said, stepping forward and putting his hands on Efe's shoulders.

      Can smiled slightly at his son,.. " Maybe you should find out if she is ready to get married right now.... Just when you are getting ready to become a father."  

      Efe felt the blood drain slowly from his body, "Maybe his dad was right. Maybe she wouldn't want to get married until they find out for sure about the baby."...... Yes, he had messed everything up"...He thought..