Chapter Nineteen

That ugly dream of Paola laughing hysterically at her as she rubbed her bulging baby bump showed itself again, making Carolina sit upright in the bed gasping for breath. For a split second it seemed so real, so current. Paola and Efe, together, laughing, as she was reaching out for Efe....

      She cradled her face in her hands, realizing it was only a dream, but it was a dream that had been coming way too often...She reached for her phone to check the time,...5:42 am... That means it's almost 2:00 in the afternoon in Hull, Massachusetts.

      She went to the bathroom, splashed some warm water on her face, pulled her long dark red hair up in a ponytail, grabbed the throw from her bed and headed for the beach. She couldn't put off calling her dad any longer.

      She stopped on her way through the kitchen to make herself a cup of coffee. She would need that extra jolt of caffeine if she was going to talk to her dad. 

       The sunrise was just beginning....in those early stages of grandeur, as that fiery color of the sun is just coming alive, stretching the rays of gold through the darkness of the sky. It was a site to behold from her viewpoint...

      She watched it, observed it for a minute, before making that most dreaded call to her father. In her mind she knew he would try to convince her to come home, and she knew she would have to be strong enough to tell him she was never coming home..

      The sound of the phone ringing made her heart beat fast and hard, then she heard his voice..." Carolina, hello. It's about time you called. I hope you have come to your senses." Those were the first words that she heard..

      She swallowed hard before speaking, " Dad. Hello, how are you. I'm sorry I didn't call earlier, but I thought you might need some time to cool off before we talked." She answered, finding a newfound confidence inside herself.

      The sound of his little girl's voice touched his heart and his eyes filled with tears, " Im sorry honey. How are you....are you okay, has his family treated you well? If not, I will be on the next plane back there." he spoke, choking back the tears.

     Carolina knew he only had her best interest at heart as she replied, " Daddy I'm fine. The Divits are a wonderful family and they have been more than gracious to me. Please don't make them sound ghastly." 

      Adam pushed back away from his desk and jumped to his feet, " Oh really, ...is that what you think? Well I have found a whole different side of this wonderful family, and you are going to listen to what I have to say." he shouted, unable to control his anger.

      Carolina was so weary of all the confrontations as she inhaled and exhaled forcefully, " What could that possibly be dad. I know you think I have myself in a mess, but I don't see it that way. Efe is a good man,....yes he has made some mistakes, but who hasn't." She tried to explain.

      " Mistakes?....A baby is more than a mistake Carrie. This baby is going to be a part of his life for as long as he lives. And that means that,...that woman will be there as well. Now, tell me you are prepared to welcome both of them into your life." He spat out the words viciously.

      Before she had time to reply, Adam began unloading all the dirty laundry of the Divit family. "So, the first thing I found was about Efe's grandmother,...Huma Erdamar. Now there's a woman that defines the word "devil"..... he announced, as if he were giving his closing arguments in a trial.

      " I suppose you know that she was in prison for ten years, and I suppose you know that it was for fraudulently tampering with medical records. And...... for harassment, breaking an entering, and for conspiracy.... And all of that was just to keep her son, Can Divit and Sanem Aydin apart....

       " Dad, look...." Carolina began to speak, but her dad interrupted her, continuing on with his list of accusations.. " And then there was Emre Divit,. Efe's uncle. Now there's an upstanding Divit man." He mocked, with a wicked laugh. 

      " Emre Divit,.... Financial Officer and Accountant for Fikri Harika Advertising Company. Accused and admitted to bribery of a government agency.. He was also the one that tried to over throw his own brother and destroy their company by stealing customers from the agency and funneling them into a secret company." He spoke, his speech precise and deliberate.

     Carolina felt her body go weak as she listened. " How had he found out about all of this." She wondered. Efe had already filled her in on the evil ways of his grandmother, and explained to her what his uncle Emre had try to do to his father many years ago. 

      Adam continued, " And all of those charges against Emre Divit were never answered. He never  paid for what he did. So not only are they crooks, but they were privileged and more than likely they bought their way out of everything." He stopped, taking a deep breath, he waited for her response.

      The silence from Carolina made him think that he had just told her the damaging things that would make her run back home to the states,... until she finally spoke, " Dad, you haven't told me anything that Efe hasn't already told me. Those things are exactly why Can and Sanem don't live in Turkey. That's why they live here in Malaga, but over the years they have resolved those differences,....all except his grandmother, Huma. 

      That had been a touchy subject for Efe, and for him to confide in Carolina about it all had meant a lot to her. " Dad, Huma Erdamar died some years ago. There was never any connection between Efe and her. Can and Sanem washed their hands of her many years ago, so what ever she was,.... It wasn't because of them."

      Her words seem to fall on deaf ears, as Adam continued, " So none of these things matter to you. The fact that this family has lied and manipulated almost everyone in their life to get what they wanted..... You just don't care?" He asked her, in shock at what he was hearing.

     Carolina leaned back in the lounger, " Dad, you didn't give yourself time to get to know Efe or his family. He's not like that. He's smart, he's caring, he's honest with me, and that's all I want in the person I love." She replied, her voice full of love. 

      Adam Munro was a man of facts, and believing what was right in front of him. " Carrie, I have spent the last 15 hours reading about this family. Maybe you need to do some investigating yourself. Look them up little girl, don't be fooled by the way this family looks..." He begged. 

      " Dad,...I don't need to look them up. I'm right here watching them, I'm a first hand witness to the love that this family has for each other. Now I'm sorry if you think I'm being naive, but whatever Efe's grandmother and uncle did years ago has nothing to do with Efe and me." She answered, feeling the love for this family swell for this family as she spoke.

      As Adam listened to his daughter, he wished he hadn't raised such a loving and compassionate person. She was exactly like her mother, always seeing the best in everyone, and he knew there was no changing her mind.

      " Ok,....ok Carrie, if that's the way you want it then you will have to accept what comes your way." He said, finally coming to terms with her choice..

      " But don't think I will sit back and watch you get hurt. If Efe doesn't treat you well, please,...please warn him...... He will answer to me." He stated with authority.

      Carolina smiled, " You don't have to worry dad. Efe would never treat me badly. And I wanted to tell you, he has asked me to marry him.... and I'm going to say " yes".......