Chapter Four

Efe was up early, even before the sun had made its way to the top of the water. He wasn't even sure if he had slept at all, but his body was to restless to lay in bed any longer.

      He loved this time of morning. The stars were still hanging there in the sky, brilliantly twinkling, just waiting for the first rays of sunlight to make them disappear. It was the best of both worlds, a transition of night to day..

      But his mind was too full of thoughts to even enjoy the beginning of another day. Paola could be carrying his child, that's all he had in his mind. 

      " Would you like some company babe. I brought some tea." Sanem spoke quietly as she walked up behind him. Efe turned quickly, " Oh mom, sure I would love some company."  He said reaching for his cup of tea. 

     Sanem always hated to see her children in turmoil, and Efe was in as much turmoil as she had ever seen him. " So did you sleep at all. I heard you come out here some time ago." she asked, hoping to be able to calm his nerves.

      Efe shook his head, " I don't think I did. I kept thinking of Carolina and her dad...then about Paola." He mumbled. " Mom, what am I going to do. I never expected this, I never wanted this. Paola was never the woman I wanted to spend my life with." He confessed, feeling his emotions come to the surface.

      Sanem reached for his hand, " Things have a way of surprising us in life. The baby isn't the problem, the problem is what you and Paola expect from each other concerning the baby. Just remember, it takes two to make a baby, and it needs two to raise a baby." She stated.

      Efe nodded, " I know...and I fully intend to support and take care of the child. But just not Paola. And I want proof that this is my baby,...is that wrong?" He asked as the tears became visible in his eyes.

      Sanem had to resist that feeling of taking her son in her arms like she had done when he was a toddler. She wanted to cuddle him, soothe him and tell him that everything would be alright....but she wasn't so sure of that herself. "No that's not wrong at all, in fact I would insist on it. But don't be disrespectful of Paola son, you need to keep her as calm as possible right now." She hold him.

      Efe agreed, " I know mom, but I know already that Paola will take every opportunity to hurt Carrie. And I just don't know if I can keep my temper down." He told her, feeling defensive. " I won't allow her to use this baby to come between Carrie and me."

      Sanem knew Efe better than anyone. If Paola was truly carrying his child, he would be there for his child no matter what.....but he wouldn't be made a fool of. The first think they needed to do would be visiting a doctor...together. Paola certainly wouldn't be the first scorned woman to fake a pregnancy just to get the man back.... 

      Efe shifted around in his chair and smiled, " So, you haven't really said yet, but...what do you think of Carolina? He asked, searching his mothers face for the truth.

      Sanem patted her sons hand, " I think she's the perfect person for you. I saw a whole different side of you when you arrived home with her." She stated, not wavering with her words. " Efe, you are the one that will know when you have found the right person....and only you. And you will know what to do to protect her and love her,... Trust, and honesty along with patience, will hold you two together." She told him lovingly.

      Efe listened to her words as if they were his lifeline. His mother was one of the most caring and understanding women to knew, so if she had that much faith in him to love and protect Carrie...then who was he to doubt it...

      Efe leaned over, wrapping his mom in his arms, " Thanks, you always know what I need to hear. Now I just hope that Carrie's dad will see how much I love her and how I need her with me." He said, giving her a loving squeeze.

      The sun had made its appearance, spreading its streaks of golden light out across the water in front of them. They hadn't even noticed it at first, until they felt their warmth. " Ahhh, there's the sun. I'm not sure if the rising or the setting of the sun is more beautiful. But I have sat in this spot more times than I care to count just to watch them both."... Sanem muttered, as she soaked in the beauty of the beginning of another day...

      A voice behind startled them both, " Don't you two ever sleep?" Kadir asked, slipping in between the two beach chairs. " I was wondering what had you both so mesmerized out here,  now I can see it...this sunrise....it's beautiful." He uttered, as he took in the view.

      It was a while before any of them spoke, but finally Kadir asked the question, " So Efe, when do you plan on talking to Paola? The longer you wait the more time she will have to come up with the perfect lie." He spurted out. " I have a proposal,....let me ask around a bit. I think I might be able to find out some things about our friend Paola that could make this a lot easier."

      Efe looked at his brother as if he didn't even know him, " Ok, who are you and what have you don't with my, "always seeing the best in everyone", brother?" Efe said, with a slight smile.

      Kadir laughed, " Oh I still think the best of most everyone,...just not Paola. Brother, this is a setup deal. Anyone can see it, so let me do some asking around. But you need to talk to Paola today." He emphasized....

      Efe nodded, " Yes, I plan on going in to town to see Paola this morning. But...I just don't want to face her." He admitted, hanging his head. Kadir sneered, " Efe she's lying, I know it. You have to make her prove it." He said. 

      " Ok, so I'll go see her and insist we go to the doctor together. Make her take the test in front of me." He told them. Efe knew that was the only way, but even at that, he was doubting every decision he made. What if the test was positive....what if the doctor confirmed that Paola was pregnant.... What if she was right, and he was the father of her child?

      Efe shook his head slightly, trying to remove all the doubts that had slipped inside his head. The last thing he wanted was to let Paola think she had the upper hand, and to have Carolina feel left out of his life.

      " So mom, will you make sure that Carrie is okay while I'm gone. Can you entertain her for me please." He asked, turning on that Divit charm..

      Sanem would do anything for her boys, " Sure, I think that Carolina and I can think of something to occupy out time while you're gone. Do you think you should take your father with you? I don't want you to lose control, and I know that Paola can do that to you." His mom stated, raising one eyebrow.

      Efe smiled sheepishly, " I know mom...but this is the one thing I need to do on my own. And don't worry, I won't do anything to make matters worse.....If Paola is going to have my child, I need to be the one to talk to her"......

      " But before I go, I have to talk to Carrie. I have to let her know where I'm going, and that she is the most important person in my life." He said, his voice full of regret....