Chapter Thirty Two

Carolina was in shock, just as much as Efe. The doctor said she was only seven weeks along.....So how had she given Efe the results from her doctor... 

      " Gabby.... Who is the father? I know you are part of this lie....so tell me." Efe asked, gritting his teeth. 

      Gabby felt weak and lightheaded,... " I.....I....I'm sorry Efe. It was,...it was her idea.. I tried to talk her out of it." She stammered, as she slowly backed away from him. Panic began to set in, she wanted to run as far away as possible, but her legs were as heavy as boulders..

      Kadir quickly stepped in between Gabby and Efe,.." Brother, don't. Gabby didn't have anything to do with this. Please, leave her alone." He reasoned, holding back Efe.

     Carolina stepped up as well, " He's right Efe...This isn't Gabby's fault. Just calm down." She spoke quietly, soothing him with her touch.

      Efe stood toe to toe with his brother, his eyes glaring, " You know that Gabby was in on this,...that's why you got friendly with her....to find out what she knew. Don't deny it Kadir"...He spit the words out with vengeance.

      Gabby felt the tears sting her eyes as she listened.... " So Paola was right....Kadir was using her..."  She slowly backed away, letting it all sink in.

      Kadir moved even closer to Efe, " Efe, that's enough.. don't make this even worse." He spoke almost in a whisper.

      " HEY, ...listen to your brother Efe. Calm down before you say more than you want to." A voice spoke up from behind.

      Efe turned and saw Alvaro standing there. "  I'm sorry but this is not your concern Alvaro. So I don't want to hear it." He spit back at him. 

       " Well it's more my concern than you think.... The baby Paola is carrying is mine." He announced, stepping in closer. 

       " Yours,... you and Paola...." Efe was stunned, as he listened to Alvaro. " Yes, Paola and I have been together for a little while now. Well, we were together, that is until you came back to town." He explained.

      Efe felt as if he had been kicked in the stomach, as he turned, walking a short distance away. Carolina followed, " Efe, babe.... Are you ok.? I think you need to listen to what he has to say." She told him, feeling a sense of relief. 

      Efe nodded, " You're right. So this was all a scam. Just to keep us apart Carrie." He mumbled quietly, reaching for her and pulling her close. 

      With everyone focused on Efe and Alvaro, Gabby quietly slipped away. She made her way outside, hailed a taxi and headed home. Her heart was breaking into a thousand tiny pieces as she relived the last few moments. 

      " Kadir had played you....it was all nothing but a terrible joke. Huh.. and you were stupid enough to fall for it.."  She thought, as she stared out the window of the taxi, her eyes overflowing with tears. All she wanted to do was get home,...shut the door and pull the covers over her head....And she never wanted to hear from Kadir again..... Or so she thought...

      It took a few minutes for Kadir to see that Gabby was gone. He turned around to try and explain to her what his brother was saying....and she was gone. 

      His first instinct was to try and find her as fast as possible, but maybe it would be better to let things settle first. They both had a lot to talk about...... He needed to explain how he felt..

      Efe listened to Alvaro as he revealed the past few months of his relationship with Paola. " She told me she was through with you. That you had humiliated her for the last time." He told him. 

      " I didn't know that you had broke it off with her. She told me she was sick of you...and needed to get away from you....So... I'm sorry.... I loved her,..I still do love her. She's carrying my child." He said, admitting it all. 

      Efe stood, pacing back and forth, " So you were going to let me think that this was my child and let Paola trap me into some lifetime agreement of parenthood. You are some piece of work Alvaro." He scoffed with anger.

      Alvaro shook his head, " No, I wasn't, but I needed to pick the right time to tell you.. I didn't want to think that I was that kind of person. And besides, I want to be the only father to my child...l hope you can forgive me." 

      Carolina had listened in silence...."Was it over...was this it. Paola would no longer be a part of their lives."  The thought of it made her smile. But she was still furious with Paola for trying to trick them into a life of a constant connection with her. 

      Efe turned to her, " Babe, I need to go talk to Paola. Are you ok? I have to get this cleared up." He told her, giving her a kiss.

      She nodded, " I know, go...talk to her. I'll be here waiting." Efe headed down the hallway to her room, not sure what exactly he was going to say to her, but he wanted her to know that she no longer had any place in his life.

      He pushed the door open slowly, and entered her room. " Paola, are you ok.? I'm sorry that this happened to you, but if it hadn't I would never had known the truth." He  said, as he sat in the side of her bed.

     She lowered her head, not wanting to look him in the face. " So, you know?.. the baby isn't yours. I wanted you more than anything Efe... or that's what I thought. And I thought you would never walk away from me if I was carrying your child.... But you did." She muttered, wring her hands nervously.

      " But what I just realized is,...I want this baby more than anything or anyone.. including you... So I'm sorry for trying to ruin your relationship with Carolina. I will have this baby on my own,...then I won't be alone anymore." She sobbed..

      " I don't think you are alone Paola. There's someone outside that loves you very much, in spite of everything you've done. He has been here for you. I think you owe him a chance, he wants to be a father to his baby." Efe spoke, surprisingly the words came from his heart.

      She looked at him with red, swollen eyes from all the tears she had cried. " Alvaro is here? I had no idea he would come." 

      Efe nodded, " He is...and you need to see him.. I will send him in." He told her, as he turned to leave.

      Kadir couldn't wait any longer to go to Gabby. " Carolina, tell Efe that I have to make things right with Gabby. Im going to find her and see if I can fix things." He said, giving her a quick hug before heading to his car. 

     He knew it wasn't going to be easy to get her to listen, but he had to try, he thought as he drove toward her apartment. " She has to understand how much she means to me.... She has to know that I'm in love with her".....

      Efe walked back to the waiting room a different man. As much as he wanted to be furious with her, he couldn't. He was a man that had been give a new look on life. " Alvaro, Paola wants to see you. I think she needs the father of her child to be with her right now." He told him, with a smile.

      Alvaro shook his hand, " Thank you Efe. I want you to know,...I would have told you about the baby. I would never have let someone else raise my child." He rushed down the hall toward Paola's room.

      Efe wrapped Carrie is his arms, " Well, let's go home my sweet wife. I think we have a honeymoon to go to." He whispered, tasting the sweetness of her lips...